PDA

View Full Version : Number of stacks and neutrals in relation to LPM

whear
04-08-2012, 02:25 AM
Hello,

I'm about to buy the SS plates for my first build, but I don't know how many I should buy. I want to be as efficient as possible in terms of money spent, because my budget is limited to 200 $.

I'm planning on using it on my 2001 Jetta 1.8T, so the desired output should be between .450 and .9 LPM.

From what I read, the 1 stack generator is the most efficient. However, is it possible to squeeze close to 1LPM from 1 stack ?

Also, should I be using 5 neutrals or 6 ? I suppose 6 neutrals would give me more production, less heat, but it could be inefficient if my reactor doesn't receive at least 13.5V from the battery ( 1.93V per cell )

My battery is pretty good, I never had problems starting the car, even at -22 degrees Fahrenheit ( I live in Quebec ), but I never verified its voltage output. Should I check that before choosing between 5 or 6 neutrals ? I know that the voltage output from the battery will always be more than what the reactor gets due to some energy waste. What's the error that I should keep in mind ? About .5 volts ?

Is a 2 stack reactor a more viable option ? Considering that it's my first build and I will probably get an average MMW efficiency.

I have learned from Mike's videos that for efficiency reasons, a reactor should be short and wide. In order to keep the amperage between .25A and .5A per 1" of active side of a plate, I was thinking of the following numbers: 5'' x 10'' plates @ 15A while hot.

By my calculations, @15A, I would need between 30'' and 60'' of active area on 1 plate. Considering the numbers above, I would have 4.5" x 9.5" = 42.75" so I'd be in a good position. I've taken into consideration .5 wide neoprene gaskets.

Please correct me if I'm wrong with my numbers.

If my calculations are correct, what's the number of stacks and neutrals that I should use for my desired output ( between .450 and .9 LPM ) ?

Also, what's a good thickness for the SS plates ? Is 20 gauges OK ?

Looking forward to your advice,

Andrei.

Edit:

I just realized that if I would have a 2 stack reactor, the amperage would divide by 2, so I would get 7.5A in each cell. With that in mind, I'd need between 15'' and 30'' of active surface on 1 side of a plate. In this case, I could use smaller plates, such as 4'' x 8'' which would give me 3.5" x 7.5" = 26.25" of active area.

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong anywhere.

myoldyourgold
04-08-2012, 02:48 AM
I think you should go for 5 N's (6 cells) and you could stay with a 6 x 6. This will warm up faster in your cold weather. A rectangle is better if it goes bigger than 6 x 6. This should give you about 25 square inches of active area and with 12 amps you should be able to make 500 to 750 mlpm if things are done right. You might not need more than 200 MLPM with out electronics. This should be more than enough for your vehicle. Good electronics will be required if you exceed 500 mlpm. You will also not get huge gains. I would not expect more then 2 to 3 miles per gallon gain at the best.

whear
04-08-2012, 03:41 AM
Thank you for helping me out :)

How many stacks should I use for .750 LPM ?

I will eventually get an EFIE or whatever I will need, just not for the moment.

Also, are you suggesting that I should use 1" wide gaskets ?

myoldyourgold
04-08-2012, 11:06 AM
How many stacks should I use for .750 LPM ?

I will eventually get an EFIE or whatever I will need, just not for the moment.

Also, are you suggesting that I should use 1" wide gaskets ?

One stack of a total of 7 plates. 5 N's and and 2 power plates.

1/2 inch gasket removes 1 inch from each measurement (1/2 inch from each side) leaving you with a 5x5 less the ports and some dead space at the top. 12 amps will be the max you can push it. At 12 amps you should come close to .750 LPM if not slightly more. It takes about 15 amps to make 1 LPM. In a good bipolar reactor.

whear
04-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Thank you very much for your help :)

I'd like to go with 7'' x 7'' plates, because I might use some extra LPM if I ever want to test it on a vehicle with a slightly bigger engine.

I should have 6'' x 6'' = 36'' of surface which would allow me to pull up to 17-18A and more production if I ever need it.

Good or bad idea ?

Andrei.

P.S. The quote in your signature is sad but so true...

myoldyourgold
04-09-2012, 02:01 AM
You have to deduct for the area that the gasket takes up, the ports and the dead space at the top. So, a 6 x 6 is about 25 square inches maybe even less. A 7 x 7 will be closer to 36. In a 6 cell one stack reactor you can use 66 MLPM per amp as a crude rule of thumb. So 18 amps would give you about 1.2 LPM in a bipolar reactor.

whear
04-09-2012, 10:22 PM
So I should go for 7" x 7" plates rather than 5" x 10" ?

How thick should the gasket be for this kind of setup ? ( 1 stack, 5n, 50 sq. inches plates )

I've seen people using 1/8", 1/16", 1/32"... What should I use ?