PDA

View Full Version : More production HHO ?

Donor
03-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Probably dumb question but here we go... This is my current cell

-nnnn+nnnn-nnnn+nnnn- It has good production but amps are hard to control.

My idea is -nnnnnn+nnnnnn-nnnnnn+ Would this mean alot more HHO ? I have enough plates to do it this way.

Also what kind of hose are you using. I have been using black rubber fuel line very hosed clamp and still getting white around the end of it with NAoH.

myoldyourgold
03-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Donor post the size of your plates and I will give you a good idea of the production to expect. I will also show you the difference between the two.

hhofox
03-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Hi. At what connection point(s) are you getting the white deposits?

Also, yes, if you use 6 N plates, there will be less excess heat, therefore, less of a chance of thermal runaway, and so controlling the amps would be easier.

As for HHO yields, just provide the info which myoldyourgold requested and you can get some figures.

Donor
03-14-2012, 11:22 AM
My plates are 6x6 316L . The gasket is between 7/16 to 1/2 wide all the way around and the corners are on a 45 to the top

------
/ \
I I
I I
--------

Something looking like that. The white is just around the plastic fittings. Maybe I nedd to clap them more.
-------

Donor
03-14-2012, 11:26 AM
The post didn't look like I typed it. Flat on top about 4 1/2 inches then the shoot on 45's. At that point the sides are 6 inches width and total 6 inches high. Picture a roof with overhangs and cut off the overhangs and a few feet up make the roof flat.

hhofox
03-14-2012, 12:24 PM
...or you could just attach a picture. That would help with figuring out a lot of your woes.;)

myoldyourgold
03-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Donor, The difference is only about 200 milliliters between the two. The 3 stack 6 N reactor will be more efficient less heat and produce a better quality gas and of course 200 ML more gas. This is using maximum of 12 amps per cell (36 total amps) which is close to .5 amps per active area. Total gas generated will be around 2.6 LPM which is about 85% of maximum Faraday. If every thing was absolutely right you could make 3 LPM with the 6 N, 3 stack 6 x 6 but that is very difficult to do. Remember this is moisture free calculations. You will most like measure 3 LPM or more with moisture.

Donor
03-16-2012, 03:05 PM
What do you mean by better quality gas friend ? If I go the 6 neutral route how much NaOH or KOH will i need to add. Keep in mind heat to me never existed. I have never seen any kind of heat ever present before. Also hose ? Should i just use clear. I am just concerned about all the white residue around the end of the hoses. Thanks for the help.

myoldyourgold
03-16-2012, 03:54 PM
My definition of quality is controversial to some. To me quality means less moisture and as close to 75% ortho to 25% para coming out of the reactor as possible. The amount of NaOH or KOH is dictated by the size of your plates or active area of the plates. You need to keep within .5 amps per active square inch. In every reactor there is a sweet spot that could be more or less than the .5 amps per square inch of active area but with media blasted plates could be more. Start with a 10% solution and move up from there removing a little electrolyte and adding more NaOH or KOH to it and putting it back in. Heat will be one of the deciding factors. Remember if you are bench testing that a reactor in an engine compartment is going to be in hotter ambient temperature than on the bench test. It is best to finalize everything in the vehicle. It is also necessary to run it long enough to make sure the reactor has leveled out and the temperature is not going up any more. Some times this takes an hour of running. Usually you can tell in about 30 minutes of run time if the amount of electrolyte is small. With a large reservoir it will take longer. This has to be done by you and there is no set formula to follow. Once you find the sweet spot you can then maintain it with a hydrometer.

koya1893
03-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Probably dumb question but here we go... This is my current cell

-nnnn+nnnn-nnnn+nnnn- It has good production but amps are hard to control.

My idea is -nnnnnn+nnnnnn-nnnnnn+ Would this mean alot more HHO ? I have enough plates to do it this way.

Also what kind of hose are you using. I have been using black rubber fuel line very hosed clamp and still getting white around the end of it with NAoH.

That white deposit means you have a leak, when installing your hose no matter what type use a heat gun to soften it up before you insert it on the barb. also put a coating of gasket maker on the bard so when the hose hardens and grip the bard it will seal it, to make it even better while the hose is soft take a zip tie twice as long and double up before you tie it.

Donor
03-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Zip tie a warm hose thats a good idea .

hhofox
03-20-2012, 01:24 PM
I was thinking the same thing -that would definitely take care of any leaks that you may be having.
Trouble is, I pull stuff off from time to time, so I skip the gasket maker and use thread tape instead to make my connections more snug before doing any extra clamping.

myoldyourgold
03-20-2012, 04:33 PM
I use nylon clamps that you can open and reuse with no problem. So far I have not had any problem with them.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g215/yenom_1945/hosecpdw.jpg

hhofox
03-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Nylon clamps huh? I have to check those out, thanks! I just have to figure out where to get them in Jamaica, and also see if they have got a an alternate name.