PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!! Im a newb

dswareagle
02-21-2012, 04:19 PM
so i have an acrylic container like u would store coffee in i have my contacts going through the top my problem is that my system is running very hot and the contacts are melting the acrylic im running an old style coil setup with 3/16 stainles cable coiled through acrylic plate to hold everything together my wires are getting supper hot and it is getting very warm and the contacts burned the hell out of me and are melting through the container please help me :(

BioFarmer93
02-21-2012, 09:33 PM
so i have an acrylic container like u would store coffee in i have my contacts going through the top my problem is that my system is running very hot and the contacts are melting the acrylic im running an old style coil setup with 3/16 stainles cable coiled through acrylic plate to hold everything together my wires are getting supper hot and it is getting very warm and the contacts burned the hell out of me and are melting through the container please help me :(

Please take better photos of that steam bomb so that I may criticize it more thoroughly and with greater precision...

Something to think about- My house is pale yellow and trimmed with blue, it has 200 amp service. How much grass seed will I need so I don't have to pay taxes this year?

Yeah, I know, I'm a jerk... Do you think you could answer a question like you have asked based on the information that you have given us? No. So try again and include better photos. For the life of me it looks like you have one big coil with both ends connected to terminals ala resistance heating elements...:eek:

Weapon_R
02-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Please take better photos of that steam bomb so that I may criticize it more thoroughly and with greater precision...
Something to think about- My house is pale yellow and trimmed with blue, it has 200 amp service. How much grass seed will I need so I don't have to pay taxes this year?

Yeah, I know, I'm a jerk... Do you think you could answer a question like you have asked based on the information that you have given us? No. So try again and include better photos. For the life of me it looks like you have one big coil with both ends connected to terminals ala resistance heating elements...:eek:

rofl
I was thinking the very same thing.:D

dswareagle
02-21-2012, 11:47 PM
no it is a two coil setup i dont have any other pics just took that one with my phone what other info do u want?

myoldyourgold
02-22-2012, 12:35 AM
Putting 13.8 volts through two wires is almost the same as one wire. Still is a good heater. Try it with just 2 volts and see how well it works. Still a very inefficient way to make HHO. Search this forum for Dry Cells and you will find some good information and get you away from the hot water maker.

BioFarmer93
02-22-2012, 12:56 AM
no it is a two coil setup i dont have any other pics just took that one with my phone what other info do u want?

OK, fine... Just take some more photos with that phone, from different angles and so on. Info? How about stuff like: how much voltage are you trying to run through that thing? Also amperage, what do you figure the square inches of surface area are on those two coils? Is this just to look at the pretty bubbles, or are you seriously considering putting this in a vehicle? (Don't!) Are you attempting to go where no man has gone before, or did you skip over ALL THE OTHER POSTS that in effect say "Wet cells are useless inefficient dangerous wastes of money and time"- actually was not paraphrasing there...
Yeah, I know I'm kinda bustin' your huevos here, but typically noobs do a little research before they re-invent the water heater.;)

You definitely will want to take advantage of our lovely archive... I would say go back 50 or 60 pages, take two aspirin, and call us when your head stops spinning.

danser75
02-22-2012, 02:05 AM
I got bored and decided to guestimate a couple things about the system at hand. Mainly because I am bored and can't sleep. I am not saying I agree with this method but to each their own and sometimes you work with what you have and I can understand that.

The cell looks to me to be A coil length of about 30 inches. Given about 3 inches diameter per coil and 6 coils + and 6 coils -.

wire diameter of 3/16"

giving a total surface of approx 8.83 sq. inches.

Given .5 amps per square inch that's 4.4 amps. Maximum.

Now given that we automatically assume that its running 12 volts on bench or 13.8 in a car you need from 6 to 7 of these running in series to achieve little to no heat. This is because depending who you ask you need from 1.7-2.1 volts per gap. For you each wet cell acts as a gap. Then you need to keep that amps under 4.4 amps providing my estimates are even close to your measurements of the unit.

But at the end you would only have an output of MAYBE if you are lucky around, .25 lpm based on 6 in series for a 12 volts giving a theroetical mmw of 4.73 which is not a good mmw but its also a high estimate.

I know no one else will agree with my estimates but I am mearly using the picture he provided and having a little fun with scaling and my digital caliper. Given that the jar seems to be about 4 inches around. The rest I can figure out by estimating from the formulas I have found on here.

Also ALL my estimates are assuming an electrolyte like KOH, NaOH.

One last thought is, 316L stainless is not 3/16" its a type of stainless steel not a measurement. I dont know if thats why the 3/16" was used but its just something to keep in mind.

02-22-2012, 03:07 AM
Hi ho there, I only joined yesterday but I'll help you if I can.
1st You haven't stated the voltage & current you're passing through the electrolyte.

SS wire will not work very well. You only need 2 volts to start electrolysis happening. Any more, and the energy is wasted as heat, which seems to be your problem. 2 volts is achieved by adding "neutral plates" between the + and - electrodes. You cant do this with wire, you need plates of SS. Look at you tube hho dry cell and learn how to make 1 of these type cells. You will also make a lot of brown water by using wire so drop that idea. ?Hope I have helped, good luck.

myoldyourgold
02-22-2012, 03:57 AM
Science has proven that electrolysis of water will begin around a minimum of 1.2 volts. Some have seen it as low as .75 volts under certain conditions. Because of the need for enough HHO to make it worth while there are some trade offs and 1.97 volts to 2.3 volts seem to work well in most reactors and is pretty standard in vehicles.

dswareagle
02-22-2012, 06:58 PM
it is 12 coils and each about 5 feet of positve and the same for negative more pictures attached u can see my connects on top are not straigh anymore because at it melted the acrylic it coil pulled them out of square with the lid

dswareagle
02-22-2012, 07:03 PM
also i know it is running less than 20 amps because i have an inline fuse in my car runing from the alternator to the cell

BioFarmer93
02-22-2012, 08:18 PM
it is 12 coils and each about 5 feet of positve and the same for negative more pictures attached u can see my connects on top are not straigh anymore because at it melted the acrylic it coil pulled them out of square with the lid

OK, it's two coils, a positive and a negative, with twelve turns each, not twelve coils. But that's not even relevant- what's relevant is that you are running about 13.8V through only two electrodes. I wish I could reach through the screen and b-yotchslap the sellers and youtube morons that are still promoting wet cells, spiral wire cells and so forth. They either don't care or have no idea the dis-service they do by continuing to even show those things. People see them and say "Oh wow! I could build that!" Unfortunately, people don't realize that a wet cell is only good for a 5th. graders science fair project to show one of the ways to make H2.
Salvage what bits you can from it and rinse the jar out to keep nuts and bolts in. If you are still interested in building a real electrolyser, let us know- we're glad to help...:D;)

dswareagle
02-22-2012, 08:33 PM
well it was my first cell and i wanted to just test my design skills and see if i could actually do it plus see if it actually worked since htere was so much talk of scam on the net and stuff. i know that wet cells are old school i made one at work will some batteries paperclips and water and salt but like i said it was just a project to try it out and was hoping it would work well enough to attach to my car and see if it helped gas mileage or made it run better since 200k is coming up plus i built that thing for like 40 bucks and was worried that all these dry setups are soooo expensive and im a college kid

BioFarmer93
02-22-2012, 09:07 PM
It's cool, I understand budgets, that's for sure. So now you know it really makes HHO. What year car and what size engine? We can probably fix you up for minimum bucks if you drive an older car, but if it's got an engine management computer then your reactor will probably be the cheapest part of the system, sorry..:o:(

hhofox
02-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Man! I remember starting out with that Water4Gas wet cell setup! It did a bit of good, but as everyone else said, a dry cell is the way to go. I read up on stuff at this site http://2hho.com/hho_plans.htm then took off from there, eventually making my own dry cell. The difference is like night and day-you'll understand what the forum members here are saying! Just look around, and be creative so you can build a inexpensive reactor for your car. If the car has a computer though, things can get a bit more involved.

BTW... nice looking wet-cell you got there. You can use it for demo purposes.

dswareagle
02-23-2012, 06:19 PM
i drive a 1999 chevy astro so its got ecu just not to the extent of the newer cars its a 6 cyl 4.3L like i said before im a college kid and going back and forth to school and work kills me on gas in that clunker and its also right up at 200k miles and was hoping some hho would improve the longevity aswell asgas mileage so im all ears on gettin an hho system that would help that car and be in my budget

aceras624
02-23-2012, 11:43 PM
stop wasting time with this wet cell in here and start making your dry cell already!!! :)

dswareagle
02-24-2012, 12:53 AM
haha ok how big of a cell do i need and where can iget the materials to make one?