PDA

View Full Version : change liquid KOH concentration/ how

madman
01-20-2012, 08:54 PM
My head hurts from trying to figure it out. I bought a gallon of KOH that is 45% and it weighs 12 pounds. How do I reduce the concentration to 28%?

If concentration is done by weight, example 1000 mililitres(1litre) weighs 1000grams, so 28% solution is 280 grams(dry koh) and 720 grams (or720mililitre) of water. makes one littre solution.

If my gallon weghs 12 lbs, then 45% should be5.4 l;b. koh and6.6 lbs water But a gal weighs 8.3 lbs.. If you take 45% of 8.3 you get 3.7, so 8.3 plus 3.7 is 12.

So which is right?

myoldyourgold
01-20-2012, 10:51 PM
My head hurts from trying to figure it out. I bought a gallon of KOH that is 45% and it weighs 12 pounds. How do I reduce the concentration to 28%?

If concentration is done by weight, example 1000 mililitres(1litre) weighs 1000grams, so 28% solution is 280 grams(dry koh) and 720 grams (or720mililitre) of water. makes one littre solution.

If my gallon weghs 12 lbs, then 45% should be5.4 l;b. koh and6.6 lbs water But a gal weighs 8.3 lbs.. If you take 45% of 8.3 you get 3.7, so 8.3 plus 3.7 is 12.

So which is right?

Madman, my head is hurting just reading this. Way to much math for me. LOL I do have a couple question. Why did you choose KOH over NaOH? Why did you choose liquid instead of powder? You most likely know I only use NaOH. If you want to know why just ask.

madman
01-21-2012, 12:09 AM
Went with KOH cause it seems to be the most prefered ( including Bio). Got 2 gal. of 45% today cause it was availiable local(soap Co.) and the guy said $10 per gal.

I knew you went with NaOH but never asked why. Very interested in your reasoning for choosing NaOH. Please let us know.

Thanks,
Madman

BioFarmer93
01-21-2012, 12:39 AM
Went with KOH cause it seems to be the most prefered ( including Bio). Got 2 gal. of 45% today cause it was availiable local(soap Co.) and the guy said $10 per gal.

I knew you went with NaOH but never asked why. Very interested in your reasoning for choosing NaOH. Please let us know.

Thanks,
Madman

Indeed, this is a bit of a sea change... I'd like to know also. This isn't a shiny six issue is it?

myoldyourgold
01-21-2012, 12:59 AM

OK you asked for it. LOL The only advantage with KOH is that it has less resistance than NaOH. When you compare the disadvantages the lower resistance is not enough to make it my choice. Here are some of the reasons. Some additional testing is on going by others that will add to the list.

First it does not attach itself to the water molecule like KOH does. Because of this less escapes the reservoir and so you do not need to keep checking the concentration but just add water. Some does get out in poorly built systems but not anywhere near as much as KOH. Because KOH leaves, gets trapped in the bubbler and then thrown away you use more of it so costs you more to operate the system.

NaOH is available almost everywhere and in bulk is cheap. I paid $1.35 per pound which includes shipping the last time I bought. This is much cheaper than KOH.

The effect needed on the plates during the cleansing process can only be done with NaOH. KOH does not do diddly if used in this process. It also helps form a catalytic layer during the conditioning phase which lowers the resistance of the surface of the plate, thus producing more gas per amp/watt and possibly a better quality of gas. This is explained in the D9 PDF so will not go into the process. Many old timers have switched from KOH to NaOH.

Because of the lower resistance of the plates you use less amps and the reactor runs at a lower temperature while producing the same amount of HHO, with a lot less moisture.

The negative of all this is you can not exceed the .5 amps per active area because if you do, it destroys the catalytic layer and you should then disassemble the reactor and clean the plates, re-blast them and start the process all over again if you want an efficient running reactor. Short burst of higher amps does not seam to damage the plates but if you let it run for any length of time it does. Been there done that. LOL

There is some other things that do not apply to the normal reactors being built and might be proprietary so am not mentioning them. Not to me by the way.

I most likely left off something and if I did others might want to add to it or if I remember something else I will.

madman
01-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Carter,

That is great news. Now what can I use the 2 gal. of KOH for?

Please tell what % NaOH is the max concentration we can use that gives the best efficiency.

Back to % by weight? Lets use 25% for ease and 1 gal is 8 lbs.

1) Start with 1 gal. water (8 lbs) Take out 1 quart(2 lbs) which is 25$%. Now take 2 lbs.KOH and add to water. Thus 8 lbs total of which 25% is KOH-BY WEIGHT.

2) Start with 1 gal. water(8 lbs) Now add 2 lbs KOH( 25%). Thus 10 lbs total.

Which is correct? My brain tells me( and read) that #1 is correct. BUT the label on the gal. I bought yesterday says 45%, and the man said it weighed 12 lbs. 8.3 plus 3.7 (45%) is 12 so that makes #2 correct.

I need to change my name to T.C. TOTALLY CONFUSED.

lhazleton
01-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Madman,
I've never used 45% liquid KOH, but I may be able to help. :rolleyes:
Try this: Using a 1 gallon container, pour in 1 quart of distilled water. Now add a pint or two of the KOH and stir. After waiting a few minutes for the solution to mix thoroughly, use a battery hydrometer to check the specific gravity. Keep adding KOH until it reads 1.275. This will be roughly a 28% mix. Once you've achieved this, the math will be simple to make however much you need.:D

lhazleton
01-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Indeed, this is a bit of a sea change... I'd like to know also. This isn't a shiny six issue is it?

Gus,
WTF?

myoldyourgold
01-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Madman this is what I would do. Take 1 gal of 45% and add 1 gal of water. Then add 1 quart of 45% to that mixture. Then check it with a hydrometer like Lee said and make the fine adjustments. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I am not good at math problems and a lot of other things too. LOL

If I had your liquid I would go ahead and use it because to get a reactor conditioned properly is not a perfect science and for some reason unknown to me varies from build to build. I suspect the distilled water. I think I have solved the problem with DD distilled water in my case but most do not have that capability. That is a whole different subject. You will still be able to get gains etc with KOH. I am not running KOH down because there are some good reactors out there getting good gains using KOH. I would still clean the reactor with NaOH. I must add that Bob Boyce® has changed to NaOH even though KOH has 20% less resistance. It is not reflected in the D9 document though.

BioFarmer93
01-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Gus,
WTF?

hex chrome... Aw jeez Lee, ya hadda go n' make me say it out loud...

lhazleton
01-22-2012, 07:20 AM
Sorry Gus, major brainfart, I guess.:rolleyes:
Haven't thought about it since Asshat disappeared.