PDA

View Full Version : Relay overheating

hydroman
01-16-2012, 05:20 PM
I've installed an hho system on a Audi 2.5 tdi 1996. 2 generators in parallel connection with 11 plates each. Also I've connected PWM (which burned later on) and limited generators to 10 amps but my later measurements show they are spiking to 50 A. My relays keep overheating and melting. I'm using NaOH. What could be the problem?

BioFarmer93
01-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Give us numbers, man.. We can't evaluate anything without values. What amperage is your relay rated for? what configuration are your plates in? What percentage of NaOH are you using? What gauge wire did you hook things up with?
Not bustin' your beans, but need info to make educated guess- pictures don't hurt either...:cool:

Madsceintist
01-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Values are necessary first but if you have spikes, sounds like too much electrolyte or contaminants in the gen. To much electrolyte will cause to much of a draw on the electronics. 50 amps is high, too high. I only use 4-7 amps. and get more than when i used electrolytes and ran close to 30 amps. I changed to tubes. Pumped tap water and a small gen., it works well. Really well.

hydroman
01-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Give us numbers, man.. We can't evaluate anything without values. What amperage is your relay rated for? what configuration are your plates in? What percentage of NaOH are you using? What gauge wire did you hook things up with?
Not bustin' your beans, but need info to make educated guess- pictures don't hurt either...:cool:

Sorry :) Here:

Relay: 12v 30amp - 24v 40 amp
NaOH about 15% on 1l
Plate config: -nnnn+nnnn-
Wire: 6 sq.cm.

Sorry no pics :(

I think also I should clean the gen. and start over. I've been using this system for quite some time now and had no problems...this is the first one that caused problems...

myoldyourgold
01-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Sorry Here:

NaOH about 15% on 1l

Sorry no pics

I think also I should clean the gen. and start over. I've been using this system for quite some time now and had no problems...this is the first one that caused problems...

To start with add at least one plate to each stack. If you do not have an amp meter I suggest you get one. You might be pulling as much as 40 amps with just 4 bipolar plates per stack or more. The other solution is to dilute the electrolyte but to do this properly you need an amp meter.

BioFarmer93
01-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Sorry :) Here:

NaOH about 15% on 1l

Sorry no pics :(

Yes, cleaning the reactor and inspection is in order- especially if it has never done this before as what you describe sounds almost like a short, at least a high capacity path that has somehow been established. Given the number of plates you have to work with (22), I think I would just turn it into a [+nnnnnn-nnnnnn+] 15 plate double stack and step up to an 80A continuous duty solenoid and be done with it. I assume you meant 6 sq. mm for the wire, right?? Let me do a quick look at a cross reference- OK, that's bigger than 10AWG, but just barely. Personally I would run doubles of those. The stuff I run is the size of your index finger...

hydroman
01-18-2012, 12:02 PM
I assume you meant 6 sq. mm for the wire, right??
Yeah, sorry..long day :)

I'll try again (clean the gen. and implement new wiring) and let you know of the result. Sorry for the long time no reply. Thanks ppl.

BioFarmer93
01-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Yeah, sorry..long day :)

I'll try again (clean the gen. and implement new wiring) and let you know of the result. Sorry for the long time no reply. Thanks ppl.

All too familiar with long days... Take care-