PDA

View Full Version : Help with reservoir plumbing

madman
01-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Trying to figure out where the line from the reactor gas out goes into the reservoir. Does it enter towards the bottom and the gas filters through the elite or does it enter above the fill line towards the top?

Mark

hhoconnection
01-02-2012, 04:44 PM
I really don't think it matters, I have done it both ways. One thing I have found useful for bench testing if you dump it back in at the top of the reservoir, if you need to drain some electrolyte you can just pull the hose from the reservoir input and drain the reservoir from there. You would still need to drain the dry cell, but it's easy once the reservoir has been drained.

BioFarmer93
01-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Mark, to put a finer point on what HHOConnection said, it really doesn't matter on the bench, but in your vehicle it's a good idea to return at the top and not try to use your electrolyte reservoir as an actual bubbler. Gas scrubbing is a task better accomplished with clean water and very small bubbles.

myoldyourgold
01-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Mark, I will add my two cents. The reservoir and bubbler are the major contributors to pressure in the reactor that is controllable after the fact. The right amount of pressure helps keep the bubbles small. To much does the opposite. Besides friction and the size/location of ports in the cells, which all contribute to the back pressure, the only two that can be varied within reason is the reservoir and the bubbler. The height of the reservoir and the size of the diffuser/length/amount of water in the bubbler are variable and can be used to hit the right pressure. When you can not change the height of the reservoir or the size of the diffuser then you are left with a tube going down into the reservoir that can be shortened or lengthened or even no tub with just the bubbler pressure being enough and the gas emptying in to the top of the reservoir. This is a trial and error process to find the sweet spot. There is one believe me that is measurable and in one of my reactors it is very close to 5 lbs of pressure. This varies with the size of the reactor and size/location of ports etc. Everything including the length of tube between the reactor and the reservoir and the bubbler all make a difference but usually can not be changed with out a lot of work. The only time you really need to bubble your gas through the reservoir is to add pressure other wise just dump it in the top or the reservoir so it does not collect any more electrolyte unnecessarily.

ultra_efficient
01-06-2012, 01:05 AM
like what "myoldyourgold" said, "im just adding my two cents" i prefer to use my reservoir as a bubbler but not putting the inlet holes at the bottom. i put the inlet holes at about 1/4 the high of the electrolyte in the reservoir.

like so
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAnDjx2dWrM

i try to scrub the gas as much as i can even thou some might say the reservoir shouldn't be used as a bubbler because of the electrolyte, i still use it then 2 or 3 wet scrubblers, then 2 dry scrubblers. and one way check between all of them. my two cents :cool: