PDA

View Full Version : ATX power supply for bench testing?

madman
01-01-2012, 08:34 PM
I saw a U TUBE vidio where a atx power supply was converted to work as a 12 volt power sopply. Basicly involves connecting the power wire to a switch and finding the 12 volt line. Model: Kingwin KY 1000 has a single rail 12 volt at 81.5 amp. for 124.00. Has anybody done a conversion like this. I need something with at least 60 amp capability to bench test my unit.

Mark AKA Madman

koya1893
01-01-2012, 09:47 PM
I saw a U TUBE vidio where a atx power supply was converted to work as a 12 volt power sopply. Basicly involves connecting the power wire to a switch and finding the 12 volt line. Model: Kingwin KY 1000 has a single rail 12 volt at 81.5 amp. for 124.00. Has anybody done a conversion like this. I need something with at least 60 amp capability to bench test my unit.

Mark AKA Madman

Don't waste your money on converting any PC power supply, I have several I got used when I first started. They don't supply what you will need for testing, Mike from hhoconnection has a power he uses. I got the same one for my wife jewelry making group torch I made for here, unfortunately she sold the system to one of the ladies and then moved.

Make contact with Mike to get the model number, I look for mine but due the storm damage I don't have an hard copy of anything.

hhoconnection
01-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Make contact with Mike to get the model number, I look for mine but due the storm damage I don't have an hard copy of anything.

The power supply that Ben is mentioning is a 40 amp power supply, the GVZ4000 from Diamond Antenna. They run around $170-$180.

I have a good source for bench-top power supplies/ battery chargers. I can get them in 35, 45, 55, 75, and 100 amp versions. Here is a link to the 75 amp version and a link to a video where I am using it for a torch setup:

http://www.powermaxconverters.com/#/pm3-75/4551112141

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36lEXocd1BM

I don't have them for sale on my website yet but I can get them for you now if you want one. The 75 amp models are $159 plus $14 shipping. Just let me know if you want me to order you one (that applies to anyone on this forum).

ultra_efficient
01-06-2012, 12:55 AM
i would say yes you can if you are testing low amperage. eg. if the 12vcd side of the power supply is 18amps and you want to test your cell below that and to see if the amp draw spikes over a period of run time then yes the pc power supply is a good test power supply.

when im testing a new cell, i like to run it for hours at low amps, eg.10 to 15amps for a few hours to see if the current draw gets high ect. if it gets too high the pc power supply will just shut off which is the best feature of the pc power supplies and also if you have a short it will just switch off.

for low amperage test and safety i give the pc power supplies a thumbs up
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAnDjx2dWrM