PDA

View Full Version : Simplifying HHO for the Everyman

Outmodeduser
12-29-2011, 03:58 PM
I have just recently finished data collection on a study on HHO fuel cells and their benifits. The data showed exactly what I had expected, increased mileage. After having a talk with one of my cycling buddies, I came to the conclusion that no matter how efficient these things are, no matter the benifits, the average user will find it to complex.
HHO system designers shouldn't focus on maxing efficiency, but making it easy for a consumer. Could an ordinary work-overloaded middle class guy install an EFIE and build a dry cell? Probably, but will he want to. Hell, most people wouldn't know how to mix their electrolyte or find distilled water.
How can this problem be solved? The technology is here, and proven. How can the average, everyday, housewife for instance, use HHO? Basically, how can this stuff be commercialized and made idiot proof.
Essentially, how can we make HHO into an Apple product? One button, simple, and easy to use. (please no Apple/PC/Linux wars) I guess the goal should be making HHO accessible to your grandparents.

Michael30.06
12-30-2011, 04:56 AM
I agree completely but unfortunately I do not know the answer.

sexyhyde
12-30-2011, 08:43 AM
The answer is a large multinational company making a universal connector which could be installed easily. The thing is governments want tax, and hho being so easy to make yourself can't easily be taxed. This is why they dont let it get beyond a cottage industry. Can you imagine the tech we could have with even a few hundred million of research and development and an r&d lab or two. The guys here have made huge strides with hundreds of dollars and spare time tinkering mostly in garages with diy tools. This tech is proven but its not hard to see why its not available.

myoldyourgold
12-30-2011, 10:57 AM
The answer is simple. Automation is not that complicated. It just costs money. When you add the additional expensive it is does not make economic sense to someone who only drives 10,000 miles a year or less. This removes most drivers from the market place. Without automation very few normal people will use it. They do not even check there oil or tire pressure except when forced too. Very few will be willing to check the electrolyte concentration add water etc and there is no room economically to have it done at service centers. The result is a much smaller market and higher cost of manufacture. Car manufactures are looking to cut pennies not add hundreds of dollars to the cost of manufacture. This technology will be limited to the few willing to do the maintenance and upkeep themselves on non-automated systems and to commercial vehicles which are used enough to make it worthwhile to spend the additional money for an automated system. The added hours (24/7) of use of the vehicle will give them a reasonable return on there investment even with the added cost of automation due to the there vehicles being used 24/7.

sexyhyde
12-30-2011, 11:48 AM
I think the technology is being held back. There is demand for it, take the prius for example, an expensive car with supermini diesel mpg. People brought it simply for the green credentials. Hho is a lot cheaper than the electric drive of a prius.

Outmodeduser
12-31-2011, 03:07 PM
I think the technology is being held back. There is demand for it, take the prius for example, an expensive car with supermini diesel mpg. People brought it simply for the green credentials. Hho is a lot cheaper than the electric drive of a prius.

Right, but a plug in hybrid needs little attention from the driver. If you forgot to charge the batteries, no big deal, the engine will kick in. Hell, my friends Prius is just like a normal car (albiet slower). If you wouldn't have told me it was a Prius, I wouldn't have known. There is no separation between the hybrid part and the normal car.

As for what myoldyourgold said, the average person doesn't know how to change their oil or air filter. The can't be expected to monitor amperage, electrolyte concentration, or all the stuff required in a working fuel cell. Hell, three times I forgot to turn my cell off when I would walk in for work. It would drain my battery and I had to get a jump. That wouldn't work for an ordinary consumer.

sexyhyde
12-31-2011, 05:34 PM
As for what myoldyourgold said, the average person doesn't know how to change their oil or air filter.

and they still have cars that every year get that little bit more complicated

The can't be expected to monitor amperage, electrolyte concentration, or all the stuff required in a working fuel cell. Hell, three times I forgot to turn my cell off when I would walk in for work. It would drain my battery and I had to get a jump. That wouldn't work for an ordinary consumer.

a car manufacturer could easily automate it and sell ready mix electrolyte.