PDA

View Full Version : combo check valve/pressure relief

madman
12-26-2011, 11:23 PM
Smart Products Inc. has low pressure valves where you pick type of body type of o ring and pressure up to 20 lbs. They state with a spring loaded design the valve can be tee mounted to perform as a pressure relief valve or a vacum relief valve as well as inline as a standard check valve.

I am 99 percent of the way there. Reactor is completed. finished the bublers and res. today. Have not decided on what type how many and where the valves are to go.

I want this to be as safe as possible. How does this sound. Res. with pressure relief valve, check valve inline from res to 1st bubbler, pressure relief valve on bubbler, to 2nd bubbler with pressure relief valve, to dry filter, to flash arrester, to air filter housing.

Unit will produce aprox. 3-4 LPM. What pressure should the check valve be? And what pressure on the pressure relief valves. Any sugestions on where to buy valves.

I want to thank everyone for getting me this far. Without your help my project would still be a bunch of notes. After conditioning and bench testing I will post my results.

Mark

myoldyourgold
12-27-2011, 12:32 AM
Smart Products Inc. has low pressure valves where you pick type of body type of o ring and pressure up to 20 lbs. They state with a spring loaded design the valve can be tee mounted to perform as a pressure relief valve or a vacum relief valve as well as inline as a standard check valve.

I am 99 percent of the way there. Reactor is completed. finished the bublers and res. today. Have not decided on what type how many and where the valves are to go.

I want this to be as safe as possible. How does this sound. Res. with pressure relief valve, check valve inline from res to 1st bubbler, pressure relief valve on bubbler, to 2nd bubbler with pressure relief valve, to dry filter, to flash arrester, to air filter housing.

Unit will produce aprox. 3-4 LPM. What pressure should the check valve be? And what pressure on the pressure relief valves. Any sugestions on where to buy valves.

I want to thank everyone for getting me this far. Without your help my project would still be a bunch of notes. After conditioning and bench testing I will post my results.

Mark, you are really moving along. Sounds good!! Here is some info that should help you make some decisions. Most reactors run between 2 to 4 lbs of pressure. This pressure is created by the bubblers and friction in the plumbing that the HHO has to overcome to get out. The height of your reservoir in relationship to the reactor is what controls the balance to maintain proper electrolyte level or if running in a flooded state, flow and then has some bearing on pressure.

I have found that any check valve will leak over time if electrolyte laden moisture is flowing though it. Do not rely on them. There is no need for a check valve if you have a vacuum brake between the reservoir and the bubbler. Quebecker has reported that his cigarette filter has been working to project his check valve that he uses as a vacuum brake. I believe that is how his is set up. The vacuum brake gets its air from the the air intake and has a flash back arrestor on it too. That is just encase it leaks it goes into the air intake before the air cleaner and into the engine after going through the air cleaner. My pressure relief valves/flashpots are on the reservoir and bubbler and are set at 20 lbs. This only opens if there is a flashback that gets by the flashback arrestor which will never happen. I call them flash pots. I have a pressure switch that turns off the reactor and anything associated to the reactor if pressure exceeds 13 lbs in the reservoir. To make that kind of pressure there really must be a serious blockage somewhere which is almost impossible.

In summary this is how mine goes. Reactor to reservoir, .......to filter just for the vacuum brake on a tee between the reservoir and bubbler,........to bubbler to flashback arrestor,.. ...to after the MAP/MAF as close to the throttle body as practical. The vacuum brake is plumbed to the air intake just before the air cleaner with a flashback arrestor. Vacuum brake is made up of two check valves. One is electrical and is normally open. When the reactor comes on it closes. In front of the electrical one is a normal check valve and in front of that the filter. Double protection. I do not think this is necessary but had such bad luck with check valves I have gone this route. What kind of quote did you get form Smart Products for there check valves. There products look good.