PDA

View Full Version : Alternator output of most cars - Most here seem to understate it

username4321
12-25-2011, 04:09 AM
I have not yet seen anyone making one of these generators talk about how many amps their alternator will put out and that is a HUGES factor in all of this experimentation. On top of that, some cars vary in the output voltage of the alternator from 12.8v-14.4v, (the average and standard being 13.8 or so). Also over time the alternator can start to go bad so the output should really be checked before relying on your test results.

I used to work in 12v specialty installs (car audio stuff) and it seemed that the average domestic car had a 70-80amp alternator, luxury models often had 90-110amp, SUV's had 100-130amp. I know my 95 VW had a 85amp alternator and I know those would run some pretty large amplifiers drawing up to 1000 watts with minimal dimming of the lights at peak current use.

For those who don't know, take a look under the hood and on top of the alternator (wipe off the road grime) there should be a sticker with the alternator amperage listed on it or call the dealer or parts person.

Also for those who want to really beef up their HHO there are some really nice aftermarket alternators available that are either re-wound or totally different units that will fit the job. I have seen 200-400amp alternators in some high end car audio rigs. Sure they are pricey but I'm sure the fuel savings can add up pretty quick once this is working correctly.

Here you can get a 240 amp alternator for $300:
http://www.nationsstarteralternator.com/Extreme-High-Amp-Output-Cadillac-Alternators-s/79.htm

So, what could be done with a 200amp HHO generator?

BioFarmer93
12-25-2011, 11:12 PM
So, what could be done with a 200amp HHO generator?

Make a hell of a lot more HHO than that engine actually needs...

koya1893
12-25-2011, 11:25 PM
Maybe he is looking for someone from here to agree with him that an ICE can run on 100% hydrogen. Build an efficient system and keep it cool running, you won't need that much HHO to yield MPG increase. Oh yeah, you need to take the time to read and experiment vice just wanting the answers to your cureousity posted for you.

ultra_efficient
01-07-2012, 09:34 PM
i had a 200amp PAM installed on my Subaru in Jamaica but only but only use 80 to 90amps on the HHO system and 100amps on a inverter to power my house when im home. back then i was using a wet cell and was wasting alot of current. i will do a new car soon and will be using a 200amp PMA, im planning on running 120amps on the HHO system at full blast and about 40amps at idle.

5LPM at idle to 3000RPM with -45% correction and 11lpm at WOT with Vtec in @3000+ RPM to 6500RPM with -10% correction. and im putting in a T.E.G system to power a extra set of cells that will act like a boost when i push a boost button at high speeds :D boost only enable at above 4000RPM

rocky62
01-08-2012, 12:00 AM
Has anyone used wind to drive their cell? I used a treadmill motor with some homemade blades from pvc pipe. Put it on the rear of my truck and drive my cell with wind with only a fuse and amp meter in line.So far so good. Drawing about 1.5 amps at 50 mph. Think I need a little more in the mix. Don't use the alternator though. Blades are no bigger than fan blades so no appreciable drag do to wind resistance. Compensated for that with a flow through tailgate.Look a little stupid going down the road with a fan on the back of my truck but it works. Happy trails

rocky62
01-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Making progress with my small wind hho set up. Purchased a battery today ,connected the motor dc generator for charging purposes to battery. Generator keeping charge on battery. HHo now pulling about 18 to 20 amps. connected switch in line to measure no load charging and load voltage stability. Working great. Next is to measure hho output. will keep you guys informed. Happy trails