PDA

View Full Version : two bubblers-do I need Pressure relief valves

madman
12-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Bubblers to be 15 inch tall 2 inch pvc with clear tubing for level indicator. I want the tops to be female connectors glued with a screw in plug for the top. This should be a good seal and easy to acess for filling and maint.The top will be drilled and tapped for a barbed fitting for gas out. the bottoms will have a glued cap with a barbed fitting which is tapped on the inside which will have a diffuser threaded into it for gas in.

Question1/ Do these bubblers need some kind of pressure releif valves?
Question2/ With 2 bubblers do I need a one way valve between the resivoir and the first bubbler?
Are there any flaws in the bubbler ideas?

Trying to get a little closer to putting this thing together. Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

myoldyourgold
12-14-2011, 11:22 PM
Mark, I build my bubblers different to most. I have the gas coming in the top going down a fixed pipe with the diffuser threaded into the bottom of the pipe. This way the bubbler can be above the reactor if necessary without just draining out to the reservoir. It also makes a little harder for the reactor to suck the water or in winter some other substance back into the reservoir polluting it and the reactor when it starts up. The gas goes into the top down the solid tube through the diffuser and then up though the water and out another fitting on the top. The negative is when you start the fluid in the tube has to be pumped out by the incoming gas that give a little back pressure at start up. This has never caused a problem.

You will always need a vacuum brake on the reservoir or on the line between the reservoir and the bubbler. That is where I have mine. All the one way valves I have tried have leaked. I use an electronic valve that closes when powered up and opens when powered down. (Normally open valve) Since my reactor shuts off at idle the vacuum brake works with the key not the reactor. It does not start sucking for some time after shut down so there is never any problem. It is always closed when the reactor starts and is closed when the key is off which is always soon enough to prevent it sucking back. Make sure it is on a circuit that is not on the accessory circuit.

I use a flash pot on my bubbler. This works like a pressure relieve valve but only opens if there is a flash back preventing an explosion and fire. I make my own and have posted pictures somewhere. I will see if I can find where. There is a lot of plans for similar flash pots on the internet. Google should find you some if I can't find my pictures.