PDA

View Full Version : gasket thickness/ 45mil. doubled ?

madman
11-29-2011, 06:24 PM
At 10 sq. inch active area per plate I am kinda inbetween 1/16 and 1/8 inch epdm gaskets. Advanced gasket sells 3/32 epdm by the foot at 36 inch goods. About $7.50 per foot. Pond liner 45 mil doubled up is much cheaper. I calculated that 90 mill or .090 is close to 3/32 with 1/16 being about .060. Please check the math. The question is if I double the pond liner do I need to use any sealant like high temp rtv? Seems like I read somewhere that gasket should be doubled at the hdpe end plates and if so does this apply to intermediate dividers for a unipolar system?

Darrell
11-29-2011, 06:41 PM
I am currently using 3/32" gaskets but not doubling up on the endplates.
Some people double the gasket at the endplates to flood the cells.
I have found that if your the inlets and outlets holes on the plates are the correct size for the amount of gas your trying to make, then you shouldn't have to double the gasket.

Hope that helps. "D"

myoldyourgold
11-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Madman, there is no need to double up on the end gaskets but it is important to have a gasket on the end making a small reservoir. This helps cooling and in maintaining equal pressure thus balance of the electrolyte level in the reactor. IF you have a 6" x 6" plate I can get you some good gaskets 1/8 or 1/16 inch by 1/2 inch and at a reasonable cost. PM me if interested. These are die cut and from fresh stock of EPDM. Old stock and pond liner material starts to crack very quickly where the atmosphere touches it. Good fresh material lasts longer but will eventually crack but not leak. The cracks do not make it into the inner part of the gasket at least not so far, but it looks like crapola. I have one on test now for over 4 years. I will take it apart at the end of its 4 year cycle which is in a couple months and see how the gaskets are doing. No leaks so far.

BioFarmer93
11-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Madman,
Doubled pond liner seals against itself just fine, no adhesive needed.;)