PDA

View Full Version : Back after 10 years or so.

Michael30.06
11-26-2011, 02:30 AM
Well it's good to see that people still try to find out for themselves rather than believing the "You Can't Do That crowd".
I looked at HHO about 10years ago here in Australia. I will still admit it looked good but the electronics side of things just mistified me.
I'm a reasonable backyard mechanic but electrics are a very weak point for me.
I needed a way to cut my car fuel bills at the time a Toyota Land cruiser with a diesel motor. Long story short I went with waste veg oil and have had fun with that for just over 10 years now, but my main source is now in doubt although I have a good 6 months supply in storage I will run out eventually.
I'm running a 1985 4 cyl diesel with swirl chambers no computers and no sensors. Where do I start to look for a hho system to reduce my diesel bill?
Well honestly where else would I ask?
Thanks for yor time and opinions.;)

koya1893
11-27-2011, 08:37 AM
Welcome back to the MADNESS, what size is the engine? I've installed systems on diesel, bigger displacement. On a Ford 7.3 liter turbo I was inducing 2-3 LPM per minute, hence try to get close to liter per liter. Some suggest .5 LPM per one liter of engine displacement, you can start with that and see what kind of gain you get, then increase the LPM to see if it will help. I did not increase the gas because it was yielding 3MPG increase already.

As for where to get a system, I am positive you can get all the data from here to built your own or one of the forum member can built for you. Some of the system on the net are not well thought of and not well made, they nice/professional looking but does not produce the hho they advertise. One thing to keep in mind the cooler your system is the better the type of gas you produce, hence having a large capacity reseroir. I use a dual reservoir concept. Good Luck and keep in touch I am sure others from here are more than willing to help.

madman
11-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Michale, I agree with ko ya, Most of the units on the internet are not good. Build your own is much better. Stay away from wet cells, dry cells are the way to go. Having a 4 cyl. you should not need a monster big system. I am a noobie and do not post often. The best advice I can give is to read, read, and read somemore (esp. on this site). You are a mechanic and that is a big advantage. Your truck does not have all the electric computer stuff so that makes it A LOT easier. At first it might seem overwhelming but try taking each component one at a time.

PS pm me about the 30.06 I am into boolits

Michael30.06
11-28-2011, 04:41 AM
Thanks for the replies. Mad man pm sent.
My engine is a 2.3ltr 4cyl diesel with indirect injection circa 1985.
Has anyone built a unit for a similar engine or can some one point me towards an appropriate build thread?
From what I have read a dry cell with multiple reservoirs seems to get good rviews as far a successful outcomes go.

koya1893
11-28-2011, 09:36 PM
I can start by giving you a configuration that will work and you can run it brute force and not worry about thermal runaway.

+NNNNN-

The cell I use are 3" X 11"

Solution is 1lb. NaOH per 1gl DW

Total reservoir capacity is 1.5gl, a large capacity reservoir is one of the keep units to keep the system cool.

At 15 amps+ you should achieved your LPM for your engine, also try to incorporate a water injection system. Do you have access to SS 316L 18 gauge. You can get the reservoir from usaplastic, do a search for them I've posted the link several months back. I use to make my own gasket, now I have a guy in PA cut them for me. If you have a hardware store close to you, you can even make the cell out of the light switch plate and still get enough production for your engine. It will not last long, at least you learn how to build one.

If you are going to buy a cell from the net ask this questions:

Configuration, they should be similar to the one I wrote down

Hole size

plate spacing

what kind of gasket

are the plates media blasted

are the holes shielded

are the holes staggared

It is a good design if the designer incorporate dual inlet and exit holes.

Also, if you were to mount the cell, make sure it is mounted below all the reservoir, if you have more than one.

Michael30.06
11-28-2011, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the configuration.
I will see what ss is available around here.
Mick