PDA

View Full Version : whst size holes

madman
11-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Finlly made the plunge. Thanks to you guys I have a good idea of most of the components to make a reactor. I just got my steel,20 ga. 316l. Single stack with 7 plates. Size is 12x14.5 inches.

My questions are 1) How many holes for entry and exit?
2) Where should the holes br placed?
3) what size should the holes be?

Thanks for all the help you have been. I hope I will be able to help someone else once I get this unit working.

Mark

koya1893
11-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Finlly made the plunge. Thanks to you guys I have a good idea of most of the components to make a reactor. I just got my steel,20 ga. 316l. Single stack with 7 plates. Size is 12x14.5 inches.

My questions are 1) How many holes for entry and exit?
2) Where should the holes br placed?
3) what size should the holes be?

Thanks for all the help you have been. I hope I will be able to help someone else once I get this unit working.

Mark

Mark,

I don't want to come across like some smart ### individual, but come on brother. Use the search function in the forum. There's enough data from the threads the mentors have answered to built a system, efficient enough to out perform most of the junk people buying on Ebay. Look as some of the thread I answer, you might even get some good photos. Boy, just wait till Gus get a hold of your post, not to mention when Lee wakes up from his nap and sees it.

madman
11-13-2011, 11:18 PM
koya 1893
I did not think to go to the search which I just did. The biggest reason I asked the question was the overwhelming info on the subject offers lots of diff. ideas. I have a lot of respect and admiration for the people on this site. I was hopeing to get a few opinions from some of you guys. Unlike other forums this one gives straight forward useful info. I will use the search function in the future.

P.S. I am newbie but a VERY determined newbie to build a VERY efficient reactor.
Thanks again
Mark

koya1893
11-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Hopefully this photo will help with your build.

madman
11-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Thank You.
Forgot to mention the est. output will be 3 LPM. Overall size of each plate is 173 sq. inches. Total plate area is 1716 sq. inches. Plates should easily handle 40-45 amps.
I was thinking bigger holes 2 in and 2 out.,
Does anybody have any ideas that would work with this set up?

Mark

BioFarmer93
11-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Thank You.
Forgot to mention the est. output will be 3 LPM. Overall size of each plate is 173 sq. inches. Total plate area is 1716 sq. inches. Plates should easily handle 40-45 amps.
I was thinking bigger holes 2 in and 2 out.,
Does anybody have any ideas that would work with this set up?

Mark

At 12x14.5 you have (with 1/2" wide gaskets) a working area of 11x13.5 (minus holes) for 148.5sq.in. per plate x 7 plates = 1039.5sq.in. divided by 4 for 1/4A per sq.in. = 259.875 amps... Which brings us to the subject of practical size limits for electrolyzers for particular usages. Since it's unlikely that you'll be using something this big in a car or truck because of the limitations of alternators putting out these kinds of amps @13.5 volts, you must be building a torch unit to run from mains power? The reason I say this is because at the current density you'll be forced to run that behemoth at, you would be a lot better off building a unipolar reactor because they do much better a very low current densities... Or, you could cut those plates up into a more practical size and build a 2 or 3 stack (6 neutral) bipolar reactor that wouldn't chew up your alternator and spit it out at your feet...
The general consensus is that something with about a 2:3 ratio with the "2" being the vertical dimension is the most adjustable/workable form, from the standpoint of adding/subtracting plates to tune for amperage draw, with the fibe tuning done with either a PWM, electrolyte strength, or a combo of both.

madman
11-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Sorry about not providing more details. This unit is a drycell one stack with 5 bipolar plates. As bio farmer helped with the math the active area of one side of one plate is 148 sq. inches. Voltage will be aprox. 2.3 per cell (cells in series divide voltage)
At 40 amps FOR ONE SIDE OF ONE PLATE amps per sq. inch is .37 which is in the range of .25 to .5. Amps will be controlled by solution concentration and a ccpwm.
I do not understand the formula provided by bio farmer where he calculates my amp draw at 259 (148 sq. inch x 7 plates =1039 divide by 4 =259. What am I not understanding here. Does this mean if a unit has a total of 500 sq inches it will draw 125 amps?

Please help unconfuse me

Mark

BioFarmer93
11-14-2011, 10:37 PM
500sq.in. doesn't "draw" 125 amps, but it can be "pushed" up to 125 amps. If you have 45A to spare for a reactor then multiply that by 4 to get the total square inches, (180)... divide 180 by 8, not 7 (6 neutrals, not 5) and you get 22.5 sq.in. per plate (wet area). NOW you have a 45A reactor. :D:cool:

madman
11-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Bio Farmer
My original intent was to not ask a bunch of newbie questions,but it seems like that did not work out. I am humbled and realize I do not understand as much as I thought. I plan to do a lot more research and get a better understanding about electricity with the help from an electrician buddy.
I believe I can come up with a design that will work. The idea is to try and get a 8000 watt gasoline generator to run on hydroxy gas with water mist injection. Also hope to build a unit for my 15 MPG 4x4 blazer.

Thank you very much for not ruffing up the newbie.

BioFarmer93
11-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Bio Farmer
My original intent was to not ask a bunch of newbie questions,but it seems like that did not work out. I am humbled and realize I do not understand as much as I thought. I plan to do a lot more research and get a better understanding about electricity with the help from an electrician buddy.
I believe I can come up with a design that will work. The idea is to try and get a 8000 watt gasoline generator to run on hydroxy gas with water mist injection. Also hope to build a unit for my 15 MPG 4x4 blazer.

Thank you very much for not ruffing up the newbie.

Ah-ha! I understand now... Well, here's what you do, build a shed frame (no walls) but with good roof framing. Obtain 12 150watt 18v photovoltaic panels and install on the roof framing. I said shed frame so that you would know that the roof should have only one slope- facing south. Now wire these panels in parallel so that you have 18vdc (open) at 100A. Use this electricity to power one reactor and the sprayer pump, and use some of the power from the 8kW genny to power the other reactor, and you may almost have enough HHO to run it on bright sun-shiny days!;):D