PDA

View Full Version : Basic hydrogen-on-demand capacity and output questions...

Tipjar
08-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Hi,

I've been watching all the HHO generator videos on YouTube, and all I've seen are supplemental arrangements; that is, the HHO generator is augmenting the vehicle's usual fuel system. These generators tend to be about the size of a thermos (probably due to space and configuration issues around the existing engine), although I have seen a couple of multi-plated 'battery bank' type designs that could eventually be joined in series, space allowing.

Is it possible to run a vehicle entirely from hydrogen-on-demand (NOT fuel cell)? Are delivery and fuel mixture issues the only technical limitations at this time?

If so, is there a significantly higher safety risk from the amount of hydrogen being generated, compared to the safety risks of gas or diesel or even electric vehicles? I'm thinking in terms of a car accident, or an internally based errant spark.

Generally speaking, how many millileters per minute of hydrogen gas is needed to run a 4-cylinder car engine with no other fuel source? How many HHO generators do you think would be necessary to run a Ford F-150 (8-cyl., 4.2L) if each generator were producing 500ml of hydrogen per minute? And if there were sufficient fuel to run the engine might there still be horsepower issues?

Would hydrogen work in a diesel motor?

Much thanks for reading.

Stratous
08-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Hi,

I've been watching all the HHO generator videos on YouTube, and all I've seen are supplemental arrangements; that is, the HHO generator is augmenting the vehicle's usual fuel system. These generators tend to be about the size of a thermos (probably due to space and configuration issues around the existing engine), although I have seen a couple of multi-plated 'battery bank' type designs that could eventually be joined in series, space allowing.

Is it possible to run a vehicle entirely from hydrogen-on-demand (NOT fuel cell)? Are delivery and fuel mixture issues the only technical limitations at this time?

If so, is there a significantly higher safety risk from the amount of hydrogen being generated, compared to the safety risks of gas or diesel or even electric vehicles? I'm thinking in terms of a car accident, or an internally based errant spark.

Generally speaking, how many millileters per minute of hydrogen gas is needed to run a 4-cylinder car engine with no other fuel source? How many HHO generators do you think would be necessary to run a Ford F-150 (8-cyl., 4.2L) if each generator were producing 500ml of hydrogen per minute? And if there were sufficient fuel to run the engine might there still be horsepower issues?

Would hydrogen work in a diesel motor?

Much thanks for reading.

It would take alot of HHO to power a vehicle. I ran my lawnmower at idle on ~3LPM, it wouldnt rev up though, just idle. Not sure if it was because I couldnt provide enough fuel, or if it was other reasons. I wont even venture a guess at how many LPM it would take to run a large engine. As for diesel engines, you bet it works on them.

justaguy
08-03-2008, 10:35 PM
I know someone who is putting over 13 lpm through his carburetor and had to do changes with throttle control. When he let off the throttle while going down a hill his truck speeded up because the hho was still the same.

BoyntonStu
08-03-2008, 10:46 PM
This question always come up.

Hydrogen has a certain energy value. At 1 L/Min this energy is very, very, small. If you generated 1 L/min of gasoline vapor, it would have very, very, little energy too!

Liquid hydrogen has a low density of 71 grams/liter. There is more hydrogen in a liter of methanol (99 grams/liter) than in a liter of liquid hydrogen.

Regular Gasoline has 44.4 MJ/KG or MJ/2.2lb
Hydrogen has 121-141 MJ/KG or MJ/2.2lb

Gasoline weighs 6.073 lb/gal or 3 KG/gal.

Try to produce 2 POUNDS of hydrogen to equal a gallon of gasoline and see how much energy it takes to do it.