PDA

View Full Version : High School HHO Project

fluttercell
10-17-2011, 08:49 PM
I'm working on an hho converter project for a tsa engineering design competition. It will only be for demo purposes, so I'm not worried about making it fit the specs for a car, however, I am aiming for appr. 1 lpm.

It's going to be a single stack reactor, +NNNNN- configuration, running off a 12V battery around 15 amps, give or take. The plates are going to be 7x7" 20 ga 316 ss.

So a couple things I'm confused about:

1) The gas and electrolyte holes on the plates. Another user on the forum advised me to use a 3/8" diameter gas hole on top, and a 1/8" diameter hole for the electrolyte on the bottom, but a 1/8" hole for the electrolyte seems awfully small.

2) Thickness of gaskets. I was planning on using some 1/16" shower pan liner from lowes for the gaskets, but somebody told me that this was going to be too thin, and that I needed 1/8".

If you could please help it would be appreciated very much

BioFarmer93
10-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Add one more neutral plate (6n's). Using the shower pan liner for a demo (non-automotive use) will be OK. I used them for a short while and they seal up well, they just don't last for months on end at high amperage's. Also, they are .040", not .0625", but for what you want to do they'll do fine. Equalizer holes work just fine at 1/8" dia., honest... Really want to get an A? build a splitter reactor, power it with a solar panel and store the hydrogen it makes in a big clear plastic garbage bag (so no gas pressure) and do your paper on solar hydrogen as a renewable resource. ;)

Outmodeduser
10-20-2011, 12:01 PM
I'm doing a similar project, but using it in automotive use. I am using 8 plates total, but its a wet cell. Are you planning on going to ISEF? We have a class at my school called research methods, so three times a week I just get to play scientist. I'm waiting on my EFIE to come in, but if you need assistance on assembly, wiring, or anything like that, let me know. I'm going to post some pictures in my update thread soon.