PDA

View Full Version : Proper Electrolyte Level

TimCollins
10-10-2011, 11:00 PM
I found some time to workbench test run my generator for the first time today. I only ran it for about 15 minutes outside just to be safe... It went well for what little I did and I have a couple of quick questions. My KOH concentration is precisely 10%. When I measured the voltage between several of the plates I got about 1.9V so I think the neutral cell configuration is good. I dont have an ammeter so I cant measure the amps being pulled yet. My end plates are clear acrylic so I can see a little bit of what is going on inside the outermost cell. My question is this: I did not see any bubbling or foaming occurring within the outermost cell. Should I see bubbling, or will that not occur where I can see because the side of the plate I am looking at is facing a nonconductive end plate (the acrylic)? I have my gas vent holes near the top corners of each plate. What I did observe was the electrolyte level slowly rose filling the cell almost completely as HHO was being generated. However, once the electrolyte reached the air vent holes I got worried and that’s when I stopped testing. I was worried that if the air vent holes submerge in a dry cell that might cause the cells to blow gaskets or explode if the pressure rose?
Should I just reduce the volume of electrolyte to account for this anticipated rise?

Darrell
10-11-2011, 04:24 PM
If the water level rises and then drops in the cell, the exit ports are probably to small. You do have 2 holes in each plate right? If the cell is built right and has the correct manafold pressure (manafold pressure is determine by the size of the inlets and out holes), The water level should stay just below the exit ports as it is running. If the bolts are tighten evenly then there shouldn't be a problem with any leaks out of the reactor.

You should get a amp gauge though. "D"