PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using one of these?

hhotahoe
10-03-2011, 05:32 PM
I am new to this and have been looking for something to put in my 95 Tahoe. I really want to build one but am having a hard time finding laser cut steel so I thought I would buy a kit to get into it. Just wondering if anyone has one of these and can tell me what they think of it and if they think it will be enough for my 95 Tahoe 5.7 4x4.

Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HHO-HYDROGEN-GENERATOR-SEALED-DRY-CELL-KIT-WATCH-VIDEO-/140612802679?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20bd2d1877

Havens78
10-03-2011, 05:40 PM
There are some good kits on http://www.hhoconnection.com, you get what you pay for most of the time with these kits if you can't build them yourself.

hhotahoe
10-03-2011, 05:52 PM
There are some good kits on http://www.hhoconnection.com, you get what you pay for most of the time with these kits if you can't build them yourself.

I have been looking at those. I am thinking about the 31 plate kit so I get to put it together. Then just purchase the other stuff as I can. Just gotta learn a little patience.:)

lhazleton
10-03-2011, 06:12 PM
I have been looking at those. I am thinking about the 31 plate kit so I get to put it together. Then just purchase the other stuff as I can. Just gotta learn a little patience.:)

If you can't build your own reactor from scratch, I'd recommend buying from Mike (hhoconnection). He's a pretty straight-up guy and knows what he's doing, unlike so many creeps out there selling junk.

hhotahoe
10-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Do you think the 31 plate kit is enough for a 5.7 liter Chevy pre-obd2?

I have seen so many different postings everywhere about how much LPM different cells produce. Some youtube videos show really small cells producing a ton of HHO and some really big ones producing half of what the smaller ones are. I have a feeling that the larger ones with the lower numbers are more realistic because they are probably being run at a much more reasonable current.

I am a little worried about the constant current draw on my alternator. I will be getting a CCPWM and the efie. I will control them all with an Arduino board I am building which will also have a nice little LCD display to give me all the stats. That part of the project is well under way.

Havens78
10-03-2011, 06:24 PM
5.7 will need 2.85 LPM or close to 3, that much has worked for my 93 silverado 5.7.

hhotahoe
10-03-2011, 06:31 PM
5.7 will need 2.85 LPM or close to 3, that much has worked for my 93 silverado 5.7.

What is your current draw?

Havens78
10-03-2011, 06:48 PM
I have a pwm limiting my 2 cells to 21 amps (parallel) for temperature, and currently rebuilding the units to experiment with trying to increase the efficiency. This will be the test bed for my dry cell if i can ever find time to upload the plans and have the "Mentors" correct me for efficiency before building.

I don't recommend my setup because currently i'm running 2 ABS PVC wetcells with a 1 gallon main reservoir and 1.5 gallon 2nd reservoir. i can get 1.5 lpm out of each at 21 amps and keep terminal temp below 97 degrees and electrolyte temp at or below 100 degrees. I have the water circulating the same way that a dry cell does, and have probably spent twice what i would on a dry cell if i had just started there. Basically i built this one to see if the technology worked and I increased my mileage from 12.5 city to nearly 17 in the city. Can't wait for the holidays, i should have my dry cell materials by then.

hhotahoe
10-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Wow! 17 in the city! My Tahoe is doing 13 on the highway right now. Around 10 in the city and unfortunately, right now, I have to drive it for work. I would LOVE to get 17 in the city in this beast!

BioFarmer93
10-03-2011, 07:27 PM
HHOTAHOE,
Welcome to the forum, better tell us your first name quickly or you're gonna be tagged as "Hoe-Toe" LOL! I think were I you, I'd just go ahead and upgrade the alt in the Tahoe to a 200A unit. You might think that is overkill, but it won't have to work as hard as a 130A unit to supply what you need. Besides, a fresh alternator always brings to light the shortcomings of the rest of your electrical system!
My advice would be to call Mike at HHO Connection and tell him to send you a GFx1 with 3 extra plates so you can build it as +nnnnnn-nnnnnn+nnnnnn-. That way it doesn't overheat, you won't need a PWM, you should be right on your target lpm and you can run efficient full strength electrolyte. When you get it home, media blast the plates and passivate them before assembly. Check recent threads here for Weldon-16, media blasting and passivation.

hhotahoe
10-03-2011, 07:38 PM
HHOTAHOE,
Welcome to the forum, better tell us your first name quickly or you're gonna be tagged as "Hoe-Toe" LOL! I think were I you, I'd just go ahead and upgrade the alt in the Tahoe to a 200A unit. You might think that is overkill, but it won't have to work as hard as a 130A unit to supply what you need. Besides, a fresh alternator always brings to light the shortcomings of the rest of your electrical system!
My advice would be to call Mike at HHO Connection and tell him to send you a GFx1 with 3 extra plates so you can build it as +nnnnnn-nnnnnn+nnnnnn-. That way it doesn't overheat, you won't need a PWM, you should be right on your target lpm and you can run efficient full strength electrolyte. When you get it home, media blast the plates and passivate them before assembly. Check recent threads here for Weldon-16, media blasting and passivation.

Jon! Jon! My first name is Jon!!!

LOL

So you think I won't need a PWM? I like the idea of being in control of the current going to the cell without having to do anything with the elite. Also, you don't think I need the 31 plate cell? I am still a little confused about the size = production ratio.

lhazleton
10-03-2011, 07:49 PM
HHOTAHOE,
Welcome to the forum, better tell us your first name quickly or you're gonna be tagged as "Hoe-Toe" LOL!

ROFLMFAO, Gus!

BioFarmer93
10-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Jon! Jon! My first name is Jon!!!

LOL

So you think I won't need a PWM? I like the idea of being in control of the current going to the cell without having to do anything with the elite. Also, you don't think I need the 31 plate cell? I am still a little confused about the size = production ratio.

Heh-heh-heh.. I knew that'd get it outa ya!;)

So you think I won't need a PWM?
No, not to control heat anyway.. At 7 cells per stack you will not be exceeding 2VpC, so heating won't be a problem, and you don't do anything with the e-lyte, you just mix it properly and roll.

Production- Figure ~14A per 1 lpm, and ~0.38A per sq" of working area per plate. No distinction is made between power plates and bipolar plates when figuring area.

hhotahoe
10-04-2011, 10:03 AM
How do you guys get your cars smogged? I live in California and the smog laws here are quite strict. I know I can turn everything off when the time comes but what about the visual inspection? Has anyone had the smog guys tell them to take it out?

myoldyourgold
10-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Jon, I have had both happen to me. One made me take it all off at least what he saw and the other just had me disconnect it. In an older vehicle (1984) I have to reset the timing before going in. It pays to get to know your smog guy and go to the same guy every time. Lucky for me I only have 2 vehicles registered in California and one being an older diesel was exempt and now retired. A reasonable smog station who understands what you are doing and you get to know personally will just require you to disconnect but you need to know the guy personally. I use the same station to check the vehicle with HHO connected for testing purposes only, this way he knows that it is cleaner and knows me and is actually helpful by letting me use his equipment to tune with. After all it is another income stream for him which is sorely need. If your car requires a test only station it is a little tougher but there are still good guys out there that understand that we are actually helping things. I personally do not drive a vehicle with HHO installed in a California registered car but do use them for testing but do not drive them on the road while connected.

AnouraTheMarsupial
10-12-2011, 12:20 PM
hey waittaminute ~ how is HHOConnection the only site ive seen on the forums thats super pumped up by you guys surely there are more out there that arnt
crap. I HOPE its not just because hes cute, because thats not a very good reason, guys. :P

Though I understand its probably like a mechanic, find a good one and
just stick with that one...

Good luck hoe-toe :D!!!!

Ahh crap you know, I just moved to california, too.. for a new Job. I forget that we have to have regular smogs here.
Didn't have to smog anything where I come from.
California is a Dweeb.