PDA

View Full Version : Reservoir Size

TimCollins
09-25-2011, 11:09 PM
Couple of questions here... what is a good rule of thumb regarding reservoir sizing? And... Is there any formula regarding volume of solution lost per liter of HHO generated?

cpaiin
09-27-2011, 12:10 AM
Not too sure about reservoir size, but I guess as long as it fits where you want to put it, and it doesn't let the liquid go anywhere it shouldn't.
As for the measure of HHO gas to water, I've heard it's something like 1,200 liters of HHO = 1 liter of water. That's just what I've heard, so it could be wrong.

Havens78
09-27-2011, 12:53 AM
I can't help you with the formula, I just watch the system. On the reservoir, I have read that you need at least 2 liters of solution for each liter you produce depending on how long you want to go between maintenance. Though you should look at every opportunity to use the space that you have if you're installing in a vehicle as the more reservoir space you have the cooler the water can be. Do a search for Koya1893, he has a great secondary reservoir plan that helps keep his system cool. I can't remember the thread itself but I think its a great idea, i'm trying to build one myself if I can ever stop fixing other things on my truck.

Hope this helped to answer part of your question.

Stevo
09-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Tim,

There really isn't a baseline to reference. I use two reservoirs: a 5 quart HDPE tank and a 1 quart HDPE tank. Both have EPDM screw-on caps, but can be replaced with rubber plugs for flash protection if desired.

The large tank holds the capacity while the small tank is mostly empty and used to catch overflow when turning corners hard or in the case of excessive foaming which tends to occur at concentrations < 20% by weight. The less pure liquid you get in your bubbler, the longer the water will continue to absorb airborne electrolyte. I am running at about 5% by weight, not overheating the system, not damaging the plates (water is clear) and not worrying about the highly corrosive nature of a 20-28% solution. My output is 1LPM @ 11-12A/13.8V using a 5N1 setup.

http://www.hhoforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1960&stc=1&d=1317136549

So running 1.5 gallons for a 1LPM might seem like overkill, but I don't worry about temps or about filling the system too often. I was running a small 3LPM pump, but it was a piece of **** and started leaking so I yanked it. As long as the reactor is built to proper specs (meaning water input is approx 3x as restrictive as gas output *or greater) then you really don't *need* a pump. One less thing to worry about IMO.

TimCollins
10-10-2011, 10:56 PM
I read your line "water input is approx 3x as restrictive as gas output *or greater". I take this as meaning that your electroltye input connection to your generator is three times smaller than your gas output? Does that really make a difference, or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?