PDA

View Full Version : Dry Cell Mounting Location?

jerrymc777
08-16-2011, 11:02 AM
I received my first dry cell from Ebay and am wondering if I can mount it between my radiator and front bumper. There is a clear view of the ground here.

The plate edges are exposed on all 4 sides so I'm concerned that if rain water or puddle water spashes onto the outside plates would it short out the cell? I can read voltage levels on all the edges and the wiring connections are on top.(see pic)

I haven't gotten a reply back from the seller on Ebay.

I was thinking I'd have to wrap it in plastic, but don't want to keep the heat in it...

Thanks for any suggestions!

myoldyourgold
08-16-2011, 03:47 PM
If you think this could be a problem, you could cut a piece of EPDM to the right size and glue the ends together making a rubber band and put that over the reactor giving you some added protection. There is special supper glue for EPDM.

jerrymc777
08-16-2011, 05:13 PM
If you think this could be a problem, you could cut a piece of EPDM to the right size and glue the ends together making a rubber band and put that over the reactor giving you some added protection. There is special supper glue for EPDM.

Do you think I could glue it to the outer edges leaving a small opening at the top for the wiring?

Would semi-sealing the cell cause it to heat up?

Thanks myoldourgold.

myoldyourgold
08-17-2011, 01:07 AM
I ran my reactor in front of my radiator on my Mercedes 300SD in rain and snow and never had any problem with a blown fuse or shorting of any kind. I was never careful even while washing the car. Maybe we can hear form others if they have had any problems. You could always just build a metal shield on the bracket to deflect anything coming from down below. Most cars have some kind of shield/air dam down there. You do want air to circulate around at least in the summer so would not seal it up to much.

D.O.G
08-17-2011, 02:39 AM
I've never worried about keeping my reactor dry.
Plain water isn't really all that conductive compared to the electrolyte.

jerrymc777
08-17-2011, 06:04 PM
I've never worried about keeping my reactor dry.
Plain water isn't really all that conductive compared to the electrolyte.

I received a response from the cell maker and he said it's not a problem since there's hardly any voltage between the plates.

I measured about 10.63v between each pos/neg connection and various voltages between the neutral plates. (6~8)

Would it be a problem if I combine all 3 positive wires together on the cell and have one connection to my PWM? (Ditto for the negative/ground wires.)
IE: Like jumpers across the cell.

myoldyourgold
08-18-2011, 03:11 AM
How many plates does your reactor have totally.

jerrymc777
08-18-2011, 11:25 AM
How many plates does your reactor have totally.

26 plates total

myoldyourgold
08-18-2011, 11:40 AM
What power source our you using. In a vehicle you should be measuring 13.8 or higher voltage between the positive and negative. If you are using just a battery or battery charger out of the car then that is different.

Your reactor is 26 plate 4 stack reactor. This means in a car it will be running at 2.3 volts per pair at 13.8 volts. Now at 10.63 volts each pair will measure 1.77 volts. This will make a big difference in production and heat. Is the 10.63 measured in the vehicle or out of the vehicle on the work bench?

jerrymc777
08-18-2011, 12:39 PM
What power source our you using. In a vehicle you should be measuring 13.8 or higher voltage between the positive and negative. If you are using just a batery or batery charger out of the car then that is different.

Your reactor is 26 plate 4 stack reactor. This means in a car it will be running at 2.76 volts per pair at 13.8 volts. Now at 10.63 volts each pair will measure 2.126 volts. This will make a big difference in production and heat. Is the 10.63 measured in the vehicle or out of the vehicle on the work bench?

I'm just using a 6amp 12v battery charger in my garage for testing purposes before I go full throttle. :D

myoldyourgold
08-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Jerrymc777, I corrected my numbers in the prior post and you should be good to go in a vehicle. You will find a considerable increase in gas production with more voltage which of course raises the amps. You really have a 6 cell 4 stack setup (splits volts by 6 and amps by 4) and should work OK if the flow in the reactor is good. Go for it and report back.