PDA

View Full Version : hose lengths..

kimbo
08-12-2011, 09:42 PM
is there any particular reason for not putting the reactor rig in the boot? (er ...sorry i mean trunk)

BioFarmer93
08-12-2011, 11:12 PM
is there any particular reason for not putting the reactor rig in the boot? (er ...sorry i mean trunk)

Usually just worries about gas leakage, but if you're sealed up tight ( and I do mean TIGHT) then it's typically OK... Hopefully you'll open the trunk- er, I mean boot every two or three days to check water level, and this will dispel any gas that may have built up if you have an extremely well sealed ah, space- but use the key, not the electric unlock (if you have one) just to be safe.

kimbo
08-14-2011, 10:24 AM
thanks for that... i'll be fitting the unit in my van so on a wall in the back where i can see it all for a while will probably be my best bet. hydrogen is a really teeny-weeny atom, so is there any particular pipe material that should be avoided so as negate any osmosis?

BioFarmer93
08-14-2011, 01:06 PM
thanks for that... i'll be fitting the unit in my van so on a wall in the back where i can see it all for a while will probably be my best bet. hydrogen is a really teeny-weeny atom, so is there any particular pipe material that should be avoided so as negate any osmosis?

You mean hose, right? Just about any plastic hose is OK, just make good seals at the connections.

kimbo
08-14-2011, 04:33 PM
'k thanks for your help.

lhazleton
08-15-2011, 09:49 AM
i'll be fitting the unit in my van so on a wall in the back where i can see it all for a while will probably be my best bet.

I don't believe Gus didn't touch on this, so I will.
Placing it within an open area of a van could be dangerous>> a leak would be bad enough, but in the event of a flashback, look out! EARSPLITTINLOUDENBOOMER!:eek:

BioFarmer93
08-15-2011, 11:33 AM
I don't believe Gus didn't touch on this, so I will.
Placing it within an open area of a van could be dangerous>> a leak would be bad enough, but in the event of a flashback, look out! EARSPLITTINLOUDENBOOMER!:eek:

LOL! Lee, you're right.. I should have said something and I didn't. I had a van for a long time and there is just nowhere to put something under the hood. So when he mentioned "van", I kind of bit my tongue and crossed my fingers. Wrong way to handle that, I know- apologies to all. -Gus

kimbo
08-15-2011, 05:02 PM
ok point taken.... i'll find space somehow...thanks all

kimbo
08-15-2011, 05:47 PM
sorry forgot to add. here's a pic of my first reactor nearly ready to rock 'n' roll.
hav'nt tested it yet, but i want to make some mods first.

then i can build a different one! using what you guys have told me and what i'll learn from this one.
http://jalbum.net/en/browse/user/album/1025945/

BioFarmer93
08-15-2011, 08:15 PM
sorry forgot to add. here's a pic of my first reactor nearly ready to rock 'n' roll.
hav'nt tested it yet, but i want to make some mods first.

then i can build a different one! using what you guys have told me and what i'll learn from this one.
http://jalbum.net/en/browse/user/album/1025945/

Kimbo,
Nice craftsmanship- a good looking build for sure. I see that you combined some ideas there... And since you did, you're going to have to compensate for them- sorry. The row of gas vent holes along the top (wider than tall- you're paying attention;) ) works well for a unipolar or a bipolar reactor, but since you built bipolar it is going to leak current like a big dog through all those holes... SO, take it apart, order some weldon-16, get your plates media blasted, and paint 3 coats of weldon-16 across and inside that line of holes and down to 1/2" below them, also do inside and 1/2" around all the equalizer holes at the bottom. Give each coat 24 hrs. to dry. I know that's not what you want to hear right now, but if you don't your pretty baby is gonna suck amps and not make much gas. Don't stop now, you're so close, don't say "the hell with it" and use it as is... Just finish it up- :D the right way.

kimbo
08-15-2011, 10:57 PM
thanks... the "row" of holes was to compensate for not being able to afford to have slots laser-cut.
point taken about current leakage.
i'm gonna sandblast the plates tomorrow.
what's "weldon"? i asume it's some kind of paint-on insulator. can i buy it in the uk? will it stay on in a hot KOH environment?
the end plates are 1/2" acrylic and because i only had m5 countersunk head bolts to hand i nievly used them, not realizing till too late that the countersink would weaken the end plate quite considerably....so i may well get some flat head bolts and large load spreading washers to span the countersink.
i'm also waiting for a flashback arrester to arrive from the states.
got the ammeter, shunt, relay, fuse, and masterswitch.
what do you do with all the gas from the 5 day running-in? exaust it out the window?
.... i'm so exited! i'm like a 52 year old kid before christmas!

thanks again for all your help guys.

kimbo
08-15-2011, 11:10 PM
would this stuf do to insulate the holes?
"Electrical Insulation Spray, Scotch® 1601, is a clear insulating and covering paint based on alkyd resin. It “hardens” into a flexible and resistant film, with excellent adhesion to most common surfaces such as metal, glass, plastic, wood, etc. Scotch® 1601 is resistant to UV rays, acids, oil and alkalis, it is moisture and weatherproof and is especially characterized by its high dielectric strength"

kimbo
08-15-2011, 11:16 PM
...as a ps to biofarmer... what's the tag picture you use .... its beutiful! got a larger pic anywhere?