PDA

View Full Version : wiring question

giga pipe
07-26-2011, 04:55 PM
i have a question about installing it. I added a on/off toggle switch. but do you think its better to install somewhere where the ignition starts? if so where and how do you that?

nst6563
07-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Many people use a combo of master on/off + a relay. Master on/off is just that. If it's set to on, when the car starts the relay is triggered turning on the electrolyzer and associated electronics.

To figure out where you'll need to hook the relay up to, you'll need a wiring diagram of your vehicle. Many times this can be found online at autozone under the repair diagrams for your vehicle. Other sources are Haynes manuals or the dealership service manuals for the vehicle. You'll need to hook the relay to something that is only running when the engine is running.

giga pipe
07-27-2011, 10:47 PM
I understand. I just have no idea where to splice it to. Since I am using 10awg I feel comfortable spliceing it to a #10. I did register to autozone and found a few wiring diagrams, but again don't know where or how to begin.

I was thinking the entire dash apart, or
Try to hooking it up to the a fuse from the fuse box, under the hood.

I'm going to continue with it on Friday and hopefully be done. :)

BioFarmer93
07-28-2011, 11:27 AM
-Or, you could just do it like I do (I hate messing with my truck's wiring, it's bad enough already) and depend on the annoyance factor of LED's to remind you that your system is on. Here is a pretty straight forward method that should still keep you from blowing anything up...

lhazleton
07-28-2011, 11:29 AM
The best (safest) way is to run the main lead from the oil pressure sending unit to a solenoid that's connected to a hand operated switch. This will ensure that the reactor will not be able to run unless the engine is running. Some people run off the fuel pump relay, which is dangerous, as this will be hot as soon as the key is turned.

BioFarmer93
07-28-2011, 12:12 PM
The best (safest) way is to run the main lead from the oil pressure sending unit to a solenoid that's connected to a hand operated switch. This will ensure that the reactor will not be able to run unless the engine is running. Some people run off the fuel pump relay, which is dangerous, as this will be hot as soon as the key is turned.

Lee,
The main lead? You mean to the relay, right? I worry that a current draw from the oil pressure sender would throw off the oil pressure reading from some manufacturers- isn't that a fractional voltage anyway:confused::confused:

myoldyourgold
07-28-2011, 01:11 PM
I much prefer a voltage sensing switch. It basically will not come on until the alternator is running.

giga pipe
07-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Biofarmer thanks! You just saved me time and one big headache

Quebecker
07-28-2011, 06:08 PM
I much prefer a voltage sensing switch. It basically will not come on until the alternator is running.

I Like this solution

Do you have on-store (and part number) we can buy this voltage sensing switch ?

myoldyourgold
07-28-2011, 07:09 PM
Here is one I have tested and works very well. There are others but this one is very good.

http://www.solarpanelstore.com/solar-power.small-charge-controllers.eco-energy.voltage_switch.info.1.html

Quebecker
07-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Here is one I have tested and works very well. There are others but this one is very good.

http://www.solarpanelstore.com/solar-power.small-charge-controllers.eco-energy.voltage_switch.info.1.html

Thank you mentor !!!


lhazleton
07-29-2011, 07:45 AM
Lee,
The main lead? You mean to the relay, right? I worry that a current draw from the oil pressure sender would throw off the oil pressure reading from some manufacturers- isn't that a fractional voltage anyway:confused::confused:

Of course I mean the relay feed, Gus!:rolleyes: Glad you caught it!:D

BioFarmer93
07-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Of course I mean the relay feed, Gus!:rolleyes: Glad you caught it!:D

LEE! I had a massive brain fart, man.. I went back and re-read it and you had stated plainly "to the relay". DUH, I'm sofa king we tall did...

myoldyourgold
07-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Gus you are lucky you only have one once in a blue moon, where I am suffering with them daily, according to Lee anyway. LOL :D

nst6563
07-29-2011, 01:33 PM
I've always heard that the mind is the 2nd thing to go. For the life of me...I can't remember what the hell the 1st thing to go is. :(

BioFarmer93
07-29-2011, 03:45 PM
I've always heard that the mind is the 2nd thing to go. For the life of me...I can't remember what the hell the 1st thing to go is. :(

LOL! Thank goodnes! At least it's not missed, right?;)

giga pipe
08-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Hey guys..

Thanks for all your help.

Can you guys confirm if this is correct please?
PDF Attachment for wiring diagram.

BioFarmer93
08-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Hey guys..

Thanks for all your help.

Can you guys confirm if this is correct please?
PDF Attachment for wiring diagram.

Giga- I took some liberty with your schematic- hope you dont mind. Personally, I have never seen a shunt go on the post-use or negative side of a circuit, but perhaps yours is special, I don't know. Something I do know though, is that you want a good heavy copper conductor from your battery's negative side to the neg side of your reactor, a body ground just isn't good enough.

giga pipe
08-02-2011, 01:27 PM
i took out my symbols to make less confusing. This is what they sent me. I think it should be a bit more detail. Do you still think it should be wired the way you showed me with the mark ups?

BioFarmer93
08-02-2011, 07:17 PM
i took out my symbols to make less confusing. This is what they sent me. I think it should be a bit more detail. Do you still think it should be wired the way you showed me with the mark ups?

ABSOLUTELY NOT! Like I said, perhaps yours is special - and it is. Wire it into the loop the way the manufacturer suggests.

giga pipe
08-04-2011, 04:27 PM
In regards of the digital amp meter. Where do people norally install it?

This looks like the one i have..

http://compare.ebay.com/like/170639188709?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

BioFarmer93
08-05-2011, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE=giga pipe;45595]In regards of the digital amp meter. Where do people norally install it?

This looks like the one i have..

http://compare.ebay.com/like/170639188709?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y[/QUOTE

At the intersection of necessity, taste & convenience- or where it wont get kicked...

giga pipe
08-05-2011, 10:51 PM
What do u guys recommend about the koh. Do you guys put in crystal form, turn it to powder form, or it really doesn't matter.

BioFarmer93
08-05-2011, 11:04 PM
What do u guys recommend about the koh. Do you guys put in crystal form, turn it to powder form, or it really doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter. Whatever you get, stir until dissolved...

giga pipe
08-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Hello everyone.

I just bought a relay from autozone.

I'm having trouble wiring my relay. Can someone explain how to wire it up.

This is what I have: I have four inputs. One is the (+) and (+) the other is going into my switch then to my cell. Then to the switch. What do I connect to the fourth input of the relay?

giga pipe
08-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Wiring detail:

Here's a wiring diagram sketched up..

Since my hot (+) is 10awg.
Does my neg (-) has to be 10awg or can i leave it to 12awg?

BioFarmer93
08-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Hello everyone.

I just bought a relay from autozone.

I'm having trouble wiring my relay. Can someone explain how to wire it up.

This is what I have: I have four inputs. One is the (+) and (+) the other is going into my switch then to my cell. Then to the switch. What do I connect to the fourth input of the relay?

I started to respond but saw in your diagram that it looks like you have it figured out.. Do you still need an answer?

giga pipe
08-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Looks like i have to re-wire to a 10awg for the (-) polarity, accoding to the NEC 2008 art 250.122, between 20-60amp you need 10awg.

ftp://ftp.resource.org/bsc.ca.gov/title24_part03_dice/title24_part03_page0168.pdf

Thanks for everything guys..!
Stay Green.. lol