PDA

View Full Version : Polycarbonate Adhesives

parkerbuckhunter
08-01-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm not sure if anyone else is making there cell out of polycarbonate or not but my first cell i made i used a plastic epoxy made by loctite and it lasted about 2 hours. I called Lexan and the chemist there told me the best adhesive for poly is methylene chloride. Long story short after researching where to find methylene chloride I came across a company called IPS. They make a product for polycarbonate and acrylics. I found that McMaster Carr sells their product line so you can go to there website and order some. I ordered WELD-ON #3 and it works great. $12 something for a pint. Just take precations for the fumes its not real good for you. Thought this might help someone who is trying to figure out how to glue the stuff together. Good Luck ALL

Omega
08-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Here's the scoop on IPS adhesives for polycarbonate.

You want IPS #16. It's thicker (like a syrup) and has gap filling properties. I have used it on approximately 12,000 assemblies that our company makes. When allowed to cure for 12 to 24 hours (it will set in minutes, but achieves maximum strength later) it is almost impossible to break the bond. I know, I have destructively tested glued parts. I don't know of anything that even comes close.

The #3 that you ordered is a very thin (like water) adhesive that isn't good at gap filling. If your cuts are perfect, square and impeccable, it will work. But if not, the joint will not be totally filled with #3.

Also, use either of these adhesives with urethane gloves on. Use it out of doors or under a vent hood like I do at work. Use a respirator if at all possible.

When you get through using either of these products, put the cap on the container and tighten with channel locks. The solvent in these adhesives will escape if not completely sealed.

I've used gallons of #16 with great results. Be careful with it - it will turn your brain to goo if you breathe too much of it.

I hope that this info helps you.

parkerbuckhunter
08-02-2008, 12:08 PM
You are right Omega that the #16 is a gel but there were two reasons i didn't use it. 1st. The product description said is was only good to about 180 deg. f. and 2nd McMaster Carr didn't have it and wanted to substitute a 3M adhesive instead (This was the main reason). I wasnt sure if the #16 was going to work so I tried the #3. It is real thin and sets very quickly but if you apply it pretty liberaly to both peices it holds and seals pretty good. As an extra precation I went over my joints with aquarium silicone also. I think the #55 would work the best but I dont know where to get ahold of some. Omega do have any temp problems with the #16 adhesive. I tested my cell for 4 hrs. last night and at 10.5-11.5 amps the cell reached about 135-140 deg. I made it similiar to the size of a car battery. It holds about a 1 1/2 gallons of electrolyte and it puts out about four to five bubbles per sec. Not sure what it puts out in L/m but it bubbles pretty well for 10 amps.

Stratous
08-02-2008, 05:28 PM
You can get what you need here. http://www.ipscorp.com/industrial/index.shtml

Also you can find some here. www.craftics.com
This is where I buy IPS #16 http://www.eplastics.com/;jsessionid=0a0106521f4354b6b8a9829e4cefa267c9b3d0 ecc84f.e3eSc34RbhyRe34Pa38Ta38Sa3r0