PDA

View Full Version : Help with HHO torch

re_animate
07-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Hey guys, I'm trying to build myself a functional contact-powered HHO torch.

I've constructed myself a 6 plate 6inch dry cell that is set up as + nnnn -
It's currently connected to a 12v laptop adapter
the electrolyte i'm using is Sodium Hydroxide (lye)

Currently i'm not producing enough HHO to keep the torch from flashing back. what should I do? I've already sunk $120 into this :confused:

Here's a gallery of what it looks like:
http://imgur.com/a/PeykW#MOlPn

In the last image, I attached a ballon to the top of the cell, blocked the welding tip and let it fill up for 10min. Once I got tired of waiting, let go of the tip and lit the end with a lighter. The balloon acted as a sort of gas capacitor so it wasn't an on demand system

BioFarmer93
07-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Hey guys, I'm trying to build myself a functional contact-powered HHO torch.

I've constructed myself a 6 plate 6inch dry cell that is set up as + nnnn -
It's currently connected to a 12v laptop adapter
the electrolyte i'm using is Sodium Hydroxide (lye)

Currently i'm not producing enough HHO to keep the torch from flashing back. what should I do? I've already sunk $120 into this :confused:

Here's a gallery of what it looks like:
http://imgur.com/a/PeykW#MOlPn

In the last image, I attached a ballon to the top of the cell, blocked the welding tip and let it fill up for 10min. Once I got tired of waiting, let go of the tip and lit the end with a lighter. The balloon acted as a sort of gas capacitor so it wasn't an on demand system

Well, you can go smaller on your tip, or you can buy/make 7 more plates and acquire a power supply that pushes enough amps to make enough gas to make enough pressure to keep your (still probably too big of a tip) torch from flashing back. Did you buy those plates or make them? Because for a 6x6 it sure has a lot of big holes that all line up... Did you happen to get your plates sand blasted? Do that, they will produce more gas and draw more amps. See if you can find an old (heavy) battery charger for the power supply, or even a 120v to 12v transformer and four 50A stud diodes from radio shat, 2 neg base and 2 pos base and we'll build you a ghetto power supply good for 30-40 amps- oh yeah, pick up a 120v computer muffin fan while you're there. $120 so far hmmm?:eek:;)

re_animate
07-20-2011, 11:36 PM
thanks man,

Yeah made the whole thing myself. Went to a steel shop and got the 6 plates cut out, bought the plastic, drilled the holes, cut up a plastic deck chair I found on the side of the road to make the containers haha. thats $120 New Zealand though.

I just tried plugging it into my car's battery and It sustained a flame on the tip for a few seconds before going out or flashing back. so cloose! Unfortunatly I don't have access to a multi meter so I cant tell how much current it's drawing.

I mite actually make a homemade power supply. Do I really need the diodes? It would be AC without them, would that be better?

So more plates, bigger supply, smaller welding tip.

BioFarmer93
07-21-2011, 10:08 AM
thanks man,

Yeah made the whole thing myself. Went to a steel shop and got the 6 plates cut out, bought the plastic, drilled the holes, cut up a plastic deck chair I found on the side of the road to make the containers haha. thats $120 New Zealand though.

I just tried plugging it into my car's battery and It sustained a flame on the tip for a few seconds before going out or flashing back. so cloose! Unfortunatly I don't have access to a multi meter so I cant tell how much current it's drawing.

I mite actually make a homemade power supply. Do I really need the diodes? It would be AC without them, would that be better?

So more plates, bigger supply, smaller welding tip.

GOT to have the diodes if you go the transformer route. You're making HHO not hot water... Oh, and once you get on the 12v side of the transformer, (after the diodes!) you can use a regular automotive amp gauge to keep track of things.

lhazleton
07-21-2011, 03:49 PM
I've just gotta step in here for a moment.
As Gus mentioned, all of the holes are lined up which is a major no-no. Additionally, the photos show the single hole on top for the gas and the 3 holes on the bottom for electrolyte. Bass-ackwards.........the 3 holes should be on top to allow for expansion as the gas escapes. How'd ya miss that one, Gus??

re_animate
07-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Cool i've redesigned the cell, flipped the plates.

Why souldnt the holes line up? could you explain more, I designed this after watching a few videos on youtube. I'm not sure how an actual dry cell should be designed.

I want to make my next cell perfect

BioFarmer93
07-21-2011, 07:07 PM
I've just gotta step in here for a moment.
As Gus mentioned, all of the holes are lined up which is a major no-no. Additionally, the photos show the single hole on top for the gas and the 3 holes on the bottom for electrolyte. Bass-ackwards.........the 3 holes should be on top to allow for expansion as the gas escapes. How'd ya miss that one, Gus??

I didn't miss it man, I just didn't want to hammer on him too hard all at once, ya know? I was gonna suggest he flip it over in the next post or two, depending on whether we scared him off or not.. I've been accused lately of being a hardazz, so this is part of the new me... Or, as my man Neil Young would say- "A kinder, gentler machine gun hand.":D:rolleyes:
I'm try to teach my baby girl to be just as considerate...

re_animate
07-21-2011, 10:00 PM
lol so my cell blew up in my face the one time I decided not to wear hearing protection. uuhh, ears ringing and hearing loss. Lame, I hope it's not permanent :s

nst6563
07-21-2011, 10:09 PM
Blow up as in flashback? Did it make it past the bubbler into the reactor?

I doubt it's permanent - but it depends on how close you were to it. Short bursts of extremely loud sounds aren't usually permanent unless exposed to them repeatedly. Still a good idea to wear hearing protection.

The only flashbacks I've had were only as loud as your average firecracker. I have set off a nice 3'x4' balloon of it - got the neighbors attention...and they're over 2 acres away :D

re_animate
07-21-2011, 10:28 PM
yeah haha, the bubbler was empty for some reason! I had a small balloon filled with gas go off half a meter away from my face. Rather intense. 2 hours later and my hearing at 85%

I'm going to go drown the ringing out with some stargate sg1

by the way, is there a way to make a non-bubler flash arrestor?

re_animate
07-22-2011, 02:03 AM
i'm feeling sick and disorientated. ears still ringing. Is that bad enough to warrent a doctor's bill?

BioFarmer93
07-22-2011, 08:27 AM
i'm feeling sick and disorientated. ears still ringing. Is that bad enough to warrent a doctor's bill?

Nahh, I feel like that every morning... Take a couple asprin.

re_animate
07-22-2011, 06:37 PM
i'm feeling fine now, back to the fuel cell.

is there a way to make a non water based flasback arrestor that doesn't involve bronze wool? bronze wool is impossible to find in new zealand

Maurice419
08-23-2011, 11:04 AM
You can get one on ebay or from HHOG labs. One ebay you can get them for about $7 US.

Maurice419
08-24-2011, 08:35 PM
What's the deal with holes lined up or not lined up...More info please.