PDA

View Full Version : a few things I've noticed

rpatten
06-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Hi I've been experimenting with hho dry cells for a while, at current have noticed a few things and just wanted peoples input.
1) after use in my cell the ss plates are no longer magnetic! Which strikes me as odd?
2) I get better production from using a makita drill battery as a power source than a car battery. The drill battery is an 18v 2.6ah NI-MH battery.
3) I noticed that the positive of the cell doesn't seem to be effected by corrosion so I started using a copper anode -nnnnn copper nnnnn- configuration and the water went pitch black but runs really cool and has no foaming. Although the non foaming maybe also due to the fact I have been using panel wipe to clean all the plates and rubber seals.
Panel wipe as in: a wipe down chemical that cleans and de greases a car body panel before a respray.

Just stuff I've noticed, not helpful but if anyone knows why it'd be nice to know.

BioFarmer93
06-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Hi I've been experimenting with hho dry cells for a while, at current have noticed a few things and just wanted peoples input.
1) after use in my cell the ss plates are no longer magnetic! Which strikes me as odd?
You are using 304, or something other than 316L then, right? I have no idea why they would no longer be magnetic...
2) I get better production from using a makita drill battery as a power source than a car battery. The drill battery is an 18v 2.6ah NI-MH battery.
You don't say how many plates you're running.. Anyway, yeah, of course the production is higher- you're running more volts through it... It's just not as efficient as the proper voltage for the proper number of plates.
3) I noticed that the positive of the cell doesn't seem to be effected (affected) by corrosion so I started using a copper anode -nnnnn copper nnnnn- configuration and the water went pitch black but runs really cool and has no foaming. Although the non foaming maybe also due to the fact I have been using panel wipe to clean all the plates and rubber seals.
Panel wipe as in: a wipe down chemical that cleans and de greases a car
body panel before a respray.
It runs cooler because the copper is highly conductive, rather than fairly resistive like SS... Lower resistance = lower heat.. However, the non-foaming is more likely due a chemical component contributed by the copper in the black stuff in the electrolyte. That I am aware of, good cleaning of plates is not a factor in foaming issues unless the cleaning process leaves a chemical residue on the plates that either contributes to or negates foaming. Foaming is usually a factor of plate spacing and drive current.

Just stuff I've noticed, not helpful but if anyone knows why it'd be nice to know.

I really wouldn't use copper if I were you...

rpatten
06-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Geeeeee leave me hanging!!!!!! guna say why?

nst6563
06-21-2011, 08:04 PM
copper corrodes easily, discolors easily, etc.

Just for a simple test, mix up a small batch of electrolyte and put a copper pipe inside a ss pipe and stick it in a tupperware container and hook it up.

Sounds like you've already got the materials, run a setup for a week and check things out. But I agree....stay away from the copper.

rpatten
06-22-2011, 03:40 AM
oh I agree that it would corrode very quickly as a negative or neutral but as I've said I'm using it as a positive, the rest of the cell is SS.
In a SS dry cell the positive doesn't seem to be touched by the electrolysis process.
The water does dis colour with the copper but it does with fully SS dry cells, it goes rusty, so where's the difference? Also I'm testing it because I'm then going to try it with a nickel and titanium cell which shouldn't then dis colour the water.
The plus sides of this seems to be a cooler cell, possibly less foaming and a better conductive anode.

BioFarmer93
06-22-2011, 08:51 AM
-and as a positive plate it is acting as a sacraficial anode and trying to plate your cathode with whatever it's (black stuff) contribution is. If you need your reactor to run cooler then add more neutral plates- come on, we've been over this stuff a hundred times. Are you building a system to install in a vehicle or are you just dinkin' around in the shop? 316L, 28% KOH, 7 cells per stack... TA-DA!!! All the hard stuff has already been done for you. Unless you're wealthy, nickel is not a consideration & titanium has already been proven to be less productive. Not trying to pick on you or be a hardass, it's just the way things are...:cool:

rpatten
06-23-2011, 03:23 AM
It truly is pointless posting points on here if the so called mentors have decided that their own cells are as good as it gets and that's that. If the human race always believed the guy who is arguing the most aggressively then we'd all still think that the world is flat and it's at the centre of the universe. People like you have given up with innervation that's fine splitting water efficiently is difficult.
The hole point of (experimenting!) with hho is trial and error learning! I've started my learning curve and am willing to try stuff and ask why.

My post states "a few thing's I've noticed" not please be a massive tool if you think you know everything. I'm sorry, did I miss the extensive book you published on HHO and dry cell design.

Oh and good work Mr mentor, anyone picky enough to point out spelling mistakes in someone's posts and put them in bold type obversely isn't trying to be a hard arse are they? No no your a true helpful mentor in the HHO forum community.

nst6563
06-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Wow man, chill. Everyone here is merely speaking either from their own experience or someone else's. It's a shared 'hobby' which benefits everyone.
There are also a few other 'hho related' forums (there's also one over at Overunity) - search them all, there is surely someone else that has used copper in their setup. Check out a youtube video of electro passivation (I think Larry made it), it clearly shows at least what happens to the electrolyte. He used two copper tubes.

Hell, I've tried **** in a test reactor I have. It made gas alright...stunk to high hell also, and stained the plates badly enough I had to use mineral spirits and acetone followed by a good media blasting to get them clean again.

If what you've noticed has no negative effects on the long term, then great - it needs to be validated by others. No need to respond with such attitude as that will get you nowhere.

myoldyourgold
06-23-2011, 10:59 AM
It truly is pointless posting points on here if the so called mentors have decided that their own cells are as good as it gets and that's that. If the human race always believed the guy who is arguing the most aggressively then we'd all still think that the world is flat and it's at the centre of the universe. People like you have given up with innervation that's fine splitting water efficiently is difficult.
The hole point of (experimenting!) with hho is trial and error learning! I've started my learning curve and am willing to try stuff and ask why.

My post states "a few thing's I've noticed" not please be a massive tool if you think you know everything. I'm sorry, did I miss the extensive book you published on HHO and dry cell design.

Oh and good work Mr mentor, anyone picky enough to point out spelling mistakes in someone's posts and put them in bold type obversely isn't trying to be a hard arse are they? No no your a true helpful mentor in the HHO forum community.

Pardon me Sir. You are showing that you have not done much research or at least not enough. The mentor you are chastising has contributed much to this whole field and if you had done the research on the forum you would have seen this and also would not be asking some of the questions which have been answered many times before. It is not that we do not like helping people but repeating the same thing over and over to every newbie that comes along is a waste of time and would consume all our time. This is not a paid position. I suggest you use the search feature and you will find most of your questions have been answered. When you can't find something say so and I am sure there will be many who will be willing to help you.

I am the worst speller in the world but I have learned to use a spell checker which automatically highlights/underlines (even in your quote) the misspelled words and makes every ones life much easier and just takes a click!! I don't consider that much more work but maybe you do. LOL I do consider correcting others spelling errors more than I want to do. LOL

BioFarmer93
06-23-2011, 11:59 AM

-Gosh, I thought I was just being straight up, didn't realize I was talking to such a delicate easily offended youngster. You are young, right? I can't imagine anyone the age of most of us here getting their pretty little panties in a wad over my response. -And yes, I am picking on you now because you pizz me off. I laugh in your face in response to your statement about innovation (you used innervation, a completely different thing- spellcheck only checks spelling, not definitions) because if you actually followed my work you would see that I'm all about innovation. Copper has been ruled out for the application you are using it in for decades before you were born lad, just trying to save you time/money/trouble.
I'm hardly of the opinion that my reactors are as good as it gets... If money was no object then they could be about as good as they get though.
By the way, I didn't point out a spelling error, I pointed out a word usage error. AFFECT and EFFECT mean two completely different things, just like THEN and THAN, and TO, TOO and TWO, and the other ones you abuse in the above, HOLE for WHOLE, as well as OBVERSELY for OBVIOUSLY.
Anyway, I love to help people, and I love to see people succeed in their undertakings with HHO, so stop being a crybaby and I'll act as if you never showed your azz, and we'll get you up to speed with a good reactor. OK?