PDA

View Full Version : Which kind of HHO generator to use?

rdlnke
06-12-2011, 04:11 AM
I have been trying to figure out for quite a while now which HHO generators would be best. I have been following ZeroFossilFuel on youtube and have learned quite a bit. The problem is I have heard and read several times about the temperature of the HHO generators is an important factor. He made and tested what I believe to be called a Wet HHO generator. Then I learned about Dry HHO generators. Now I am not sure which would be best. I live in Phoenix, AZ and it can get to 120 degrees fahrenheit in the summer and do not want to put myself into danger. So the questions I would like to know the answers to are; Would it be better to use a Wet or Dry HHO generator? Which one is better at keeping itself cooler? Would I need to either hide it or take it off if I got the emissions tested? Are there somethings that you should I take into consideration before I proceed to build myself a generator?

kve777
06-12-2011, 10:11 AM
I, too am trying to decide on the right set up for my 1999 Ford E250 extended van w/ 5.4L V8. I get 15 mpg unaltered. My thought is that I will need at least 3.5 lpm, is that about right for a 5.4L? One consideration is using solar panels on the roof to charge a couple of batteries in a stand alone generation system. Would generation of electricity from the exhaust make more sense? I am interested in using the Volo FS2 HHO. I will keep browsing other threads here for more info.

hhoconnection
06-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Build a dry cell not a wet cell. Here is a video explaining why a dry cell is better:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gQOxWXRsLB4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

koya1893
06-12-2011, 11:47 AM
http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/digital-narrowband-series

For your 54. liter, you need to use this EFIE above to handle all four O2 you have. No, you can achieved good gain from 2-2.5lpm. Two stack -NNNNN+NNNNN- with 1lb. NaOH per gl. distilled water. short time, more later.

rdlnke
06-12-2011, 04:04 PM
So it seems that a Dry Cell is the better way to go. I have a quick observation that I would like to point out. If you were to stagger the three holes at the top for gas to escape and the hole at the bottom for fluid circulation, would that help cut down the chance for electricity to jump across the edges and avoid the plate??? Also is it important for the bubblier to be above the Dry Cell??

hhoconnection
06-12-2011, 04:59 PM
So it seems that a Dry Cell is the better way to go. I have a quick observation that I would like to point out. If you were to stagger the three holes at the top for gas to escape and the hole at the bottom for fluid circulation, would that help cut down the chance for electricity to jump across the edges and avoid the plate??? Also is it important for the bubblier to be above the Dry Cell??

As Yoda would say "The force with this one is strong". :D Good observation, I have not tried it personally but I have heard others say that staggering the holes cuts down on current leakage, makes sense to me. As for the bubbler, I assume you are talking about the reservoir. If so, then no it does not have to be above the cell but you will probably need a pump because circulation would be an issue.

On YouTube you asked about the bolts. They are stainless steel, covered with a material (pvc, neoprene, etc.) to keep them from shorting out on the plates.

rdlnke
06-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Thanks for your input. I just now need to figure out how I am going to deal with my vehicles computer... And also if I should leave the system on my car or take it off when I get my emissions tested. Also if I do put a pump in I am going to have to find one that will be able to deal with the electrolyte solution. I have been wanting to do this for a couple of years and just have not felt comfortable with doing it. It is time to get off of my butt and get something done.

koya1893
06-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Thanks for your input. I just now need to figure out how I am going to deal with my vehicles computer... And also if I should leave the system on my car or take it off when I get my emissions tested. Also if I do put a pump in I am going to have to find one that will be able to deal with the electrolyte solution. I have been wanting to do this for a couple of years and just have not felt comfortable with doing it. It is time to get off of my butt and get something done.

Okay, I did not see what vehicle or what year. Anyway, the only route I've found productive thus far is an EFIE. A reliable well constructed model, I am pretty bias with the one Fuel Saver makes because I've included them on the kits I've produce and used them on my install.

One thing you need to consider is having sufficient amount of solution to feed your cell, I've been working with a re-mote concept, thus far I am able to incorporate a system with 2gl capacity which helps keep the system cool.

Location, I've also found a key factor, hence the re-mote mothed. Installing the cell in front of the rad is the best solution and a reservoir on the same location should feed the cell with constant cool solution.

several things you need to consider for the dry cell:

Use 316L SS unless you have the $$ for Nickle or something higher grade

media blast the plates

use Weld On around the hole

metal passivation is a good practice after plates are blasted

I like to have the plates as close as posible (less resistants, less amps) others feel the opposite.

Built a cell big enough to produce what you need, no need to build a monster and use a lot of amps when you don't need it the lpm

size for the location you can work with

holes hould be staggared

have reservoir above your cell

at least a 20" bubbler with air stone

solution is also a key elements, I use NaOH (easy access) some use KOH.

A PWM is good however if you run this configuration you should not need it: -NNNNN+NNNNN- with that configuration you can run it brute force, again some will not agree.

KVE777

I've installed a system on a F-150 with the 5.4 with narrow band. The EFIE on the link I posted should yield you 25% set at 300mv for the front and 200mv for the rear. Having said you need to experiments with the EFIE, not every vehicle will respond the same way. I was inducing 2-2.5lpm with two cell wired seperately, they were being feed with 2.5 gl capacity reservoir (well 3 Qt capacity is the remote reservoir) the other reservoir is mounted under the rad close to the cell.

The other 5.4l eng is on my 09 F-150, that has wide band in front (actually they are AFR sensors) and narrow on the post cat O2. this truck gets 17.6 average for city and 23.8 highway.

rdlnke
06-13-2011, 10:33 PM
That is very good information, thanks Koya. I will have to figure out some other place to put my cell though. I have an SL2 1995 staurn, and do not have any room in front of radiator. I might be able to put it a little to the side though, I am just not sure if that would be good or not.

AcmePhoto
06-14-2011, 01:16 AM
rdlnke, Howdy, I'm also in Phoenix and have not gone HHO, but am researching. I'd love to see what route you go. Were you thinking about buying a dry cell or building your own cell DIY style?

Drop me a note via pm, email, etc if you want to compare notes. Also....ANYBODY else in Phoenix, Arizona?

ps: One of my cars is a 3.0L '96 ford Tarus, (flex fuel) if anybody has any experience w/ that on the computer side. Other is a 3.8L 98 chev camaro.

Adam

rdlnke
06-14-2011, 02:08 PM
I have decided that I want to go with a Dry Cell. From the information I have have gathered and from the knowledge that I have, it makes the most sense and efficient. I have found one located at

http://greengasfuel.com/products.html

which seems to be a pretty nice one and they are local. I am trying to get into contact with them and see if there is anyway I can either get one from them, or get the plans so I can build one.

hhoconnection
06-14-2011, 02:47 PM
I have decided that I want to go with a Dry Cell. From the information I have have gathered and from the knowledge that I have, it makes the most sense and efficient. I have found one located at

http://greengasfuel.com/products.html

which seems to be a pretty nice one and they are local. I am trying to get into contact with them and see if there is anyway I can either get one from them, or get the plans so I can build one.

I happen to know this person as we were both members of EBN. He no longer is selling these cells and EBN is no longer around.

I have two vendors that I am currently working with and very soon will be offering their cells on my website. Both of these guys make a good cell at a very fair price. Here are links to both of their sites. Do me a favor and mention my name if you end up buying one so I can get credit for it. Thanks!

http://www.greenfuelh2o.com

http://www.punchhho.com/