PDA

View Full Version : High Sulfur Diesel

Jedomi
05-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Morning all,

So In my pursuit of a truck, i have learned that the OIL my country buys is of terrible quality, in that it is High in Sulfur. Now, what i would like to know is if there is anything i can do/buy to lower the sulfur content and in effect prevent/delay black smoke and engine failure.

(Not lower the content of the OIL itself, but of the Diesel that will be put into my tank)

BioFarmer93
05-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Jedomi,
Don't worry about it, high sulfur doesn't smoke more, smoke is a function of over-fueling or a clogged air filter. The high sulfur fuel is what the older diesels were designed to run on from a metallurgical standpoint. The sulfur acts as a lubricant in the injection pump, a very expensive item that needs to remain lubricated. The #2 Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) that we get here in the USA now has been responsible for the deaths of many older model injection pumps and much anger on behalf of older diesel owners. If I'm not running a waste motor oil mix in my tank, then when I fill up I always put in a quart of two-cycle oil in each tank. The high sulfur fuel is less expensive, also. It was mandated here that only ULSD could be used by road vehicles for air quality reasons.

Jedomi
05-31-2011, 10:12 PM
So should i get a relatively old model truck to spare me engine trouble in the future?

Other than that i can tell you ALL the public service vehicles here are black smoking on some level, and it disgusts me. If its as easy as correct air/fuel ration why do they all smoke so badly? >_<

BioFarmer93
06-01-2011, 01:35 AM
Poor maintenance primarily, coupled with a high cost for spare/replacement parts. What country do you live in?

Jedomi
06-01-2011, 06:34 AM
Poor maintenance primarily, coupled with a high cost for spare/replacement parts. What country do you live in?

Barbados, and yea... i think you have it down to the T with that one