PDA

View Full Version : Effects of too much electrolyte?

Hydro newb
05-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Hello, I was building a hydrogen generator for my friends truck and he posed a decent question to me when I was explaining the mixture properties and he was wondering what would happen if you put too much lye in. Its in a glass jar with aq metal lid and we're using high temp (1500 degrees F) tubing so heating shouldn't really be a problem other than the generator heating up and boiling into the bubbler, but provided we keep heat under 200 degrees lol, wouldn't we get extra production for free?

BioFarmer93
05-19-2011, 06:20 PM
I seem to recall that anything over 20% by weight starts lowering efficiency... Carter? Roland? Lee? I'm a KOH man myself, but remember seeing this recently.

Hydro newb
05-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Out of curiosity why KOH instead of sodium hyroxide (lye, NaOH etc)

myoldyourgold
05-19-2011, 07:09 PM
That is right Gus when you go over 20% NaOH it starts going down hill. I still have a problem with all the high concentration usage. True it lowers resistance up to 20% but you can not use that lower resistance without a PWM or maybe building a very large unit, so what is the point. I guess if you want a lot of toxic steam then it would be OK. LOL Does it really make more gas or just easier to control?? (NOT) I think it is just the control issue in normal sized reactors. I do not see any other advantage. Maybe some one can educate me here.

Good question. I think and I am not sure but it has a slightly lower resistance at its max of 28% by weight. I will let Gus give you the scoop on that.

lhazleton
05-19-2011, 10:01 PM
With KOH I always run 28%. But, in one of those Mason Jar deals? Never happen! With those open bath setups, it's at least 12vdc running amuck. The wiring will melt and the nasty little bomb is gonna hurt someone.

myoldyourgold
05-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Shane cheaper yet just pee in it. Then besides glass shrapnel you can get ?issed on. That should give you a real bang for your buck but no mileage increase. Dang :eek:

BioFarmer93
05-20-2011, 07:44 AM

In my case it's just convenience, I have a 55gal. drum of 45% KOH for my bank of flooded NiCd's.

Hydro newb
05-21-2011, 01:50 AM
Ok, Thank you all for the posts. What should I use as an open bath container? I know Dry-cells are better for so many reasons and I plan on building one but what should I use until I save up a few paychecks for the dry-cell?
Also just so I'm clear on this, For NaOH I should use 20% by weight?

Hydro newb
05-21-2011, 02:24 AM
By that i mean what kind of container should i use. Glass has worked out the best for me in my experiences

myoldyourgold
05-21-2011, 03:16 AM
Just about any container except glass!! Even plastic can be dangerous and I know first hand. You do not want to be picking glass out of your _ _ _ _ or plastic for that matter. It can happen when you least expect it.

BioFarmer93
05-21-2011, 03:54 AM
By that i mean what kind of container should i use. Glass has worked out the best for me in my experiences

Then perhaps you may not be quite experienced enough... I only hope that when the day comes that you gain that experience, it is not at the cost of your vision, or a loved ones vision. Hopefully it will only be some corroded aluminum and mild skin burns.:D:D
PVC is cheap and universally available, you don't have to watch the production, you know...