PDA

View Full Version : Tools

liberybell
08-01-2008, 02:04 PM
I am in the process of building my first HHO generator (the one I am currently using I bought it and it is not performing that well. It uses PVC, it heats up easy, it leaks and it draws too many amps for the amount of HHO that generates.)
Any how, I am looking for some help of what tools I may need to put together my generator. Here is the materials I am using:

- Housing is a ss cooking pot (5"x5"x6")
- plates are ss 304 (4"x4"x.062")
- nylon bolts to hold plates together
- nylon nuts
- nylon washers (spacers at 1/8")
- Clear polycarbonate sheet for cover (7"x7x3/8")

So I need some suggestions on the appropriate tools and where I can find them to perform the following:
- Drill plates
- cut nylon bolt
- cut polycarbonate sheet
- drill polycarbonate sheet
- thread polycarbonate sheet
- glue polycarbonate sheet to ss housing

Thanks for the help.

Stratous
08-01-2008, 02:21 PM
I am in the process of building my first HHO generator (the one I am currently using I bought it and it is not performing that well. It uses PVC, it heats up easy, it leaks and it draws too many amps for the amount of HHO that generates.)
Any how, I am looking for some help of what tools I may need to put together my generator. Here is the materials I am using:

- Housing is a ss cooking pot (5"x5"x6")
- plates are ss 304 (4"x4"x.062")
- nylon bolts to hold plates together
- nylon nuts
- nylon washers (spacers at 1/8")
- Clear polycarbonate sheet for cover (7"x7x3/8")

So I need some suggestions on the appropriate tools and where I can find them to perform the following:
- Drill plates
- cut nylon bolt
- cut polycarbonate sheet
- drill polycarbonate sheet
- thread polycarbonate sheet
- glue polycarbonate sheet to ss housing

Thanks for the help.

I can help some, SS is very difficult to drill, so I will recommend a drill press or better. you can purchase a small press from harbor frieght for about $70. You can do it with a hand drill, but you will go through alot of bits. Cobalt bits seem to last the longest of the ones I have used.
Nylon bolts can be cut easily with diagonal cutters "AKA wire cutters".
Polycarbonate can be cut on a table saw using a vinyl siding blade or a fine tooth wood blade. If using a wood blade, it must have more that 120 teeth. You can drill with standard drill bits or wood bits.

I have not tried to glue polycarbonate to anything other than itself. It may be difficult to find a glue/adhesive that can hold both SS and Poly.
Warning- If the Glue/adhesive/epoxy states it will hold "Most Plastics" then it probably doesnt hold Polycarbonate very well. I found this out the hard way.
The "Professional grade" that they sell in Lowes or Home Depot that is made by Loctite does not hold polycarbonate well and will break down in NaOH.

liberybell
08-01-2008, 02:34 PM
I can help some, SS is very difficult to drill, so I will recommend a drill press or better. you can purchase a small press from harbor frieght for about $70. You can do it with a hand drill, but you will go through alot of bits. Cobalt bits seem to last the longest of the ones I have used.
Nylon bolts can be cut easily with diagonal cutters "AKA wire cutters".
Polycarbonate can be cut on a table saw using a vinyl siding blade or a fine tooth wood blade. If using a wood blade, it must have more that 120 teeth. You can drill with standard drill bits or wood bits.

I have not tried to glue polycarbonate to anything other than itself. It may be difficult to find a glue/adhesive that can hold both SS and Poly.
Warning- If the Glue/adhesive/epoxy states it will hold "Most Plastics" then it probably doesnt hold Polycarbonate very well. I found this out the hard way.
The "Professional grade" that they sell in Lowes or Home Depot that is made by Loctite does not hold polycarbonate well and will break down in NaOH.
Thank you Stratous, you are always very helpful.
I am not trying to glue shut the sheet with the ss. I am just trying to prevent leaks. I am planning in addition to the glue, to bolt the sheet to the housing.
Thanks again.