PDA

View Full Version : Digital amp meter issue, need help!

southman2272
05-05-2011, 12:46 PM
I suppose I am trying to micro manage my fuel cell doing this but I want to see if any one knows how I can wire in my digital amp meter/gauge so I can monitor the fuel cell amps without it measuring the other consumers that get turned on (lights, blower motor etc.) The first meter I wired in on the supply side to the fuel cell and had a melt down of the meter. The second is on the ground side and works fine until I turn on any other consumer which it detects and my ability to accurately monitor the fuel unit is gone. I don't have a PWM and the meter is wired through a 50A shunt. Any suggestions?

safetysteve
05-08-2011, 02:43 AM
Hello,
I wired 2 terminals between my battery and CCPWM and mounted them inside my Jeep where I could connect directly to a DMM that has software and records live. I have also used a clamp on meter that does not record, but sits right there in the cab and at stop lights I fill in a data sheet manually with a time and amp reading. See pic.

ld1940
05-08-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm new to the game and far from being an expert, but I wired my system thus: positive battery to relay, relay to ammeter, ammeter to power cell. I haven't noticed any fluctuation from other 'consumers'. Biggest caution note I had was to insure I had an ammeter capable of measuring the whole potential load without blowing a fuse. Mine is a SunPro analog meter from Amazon with a 60 amp potential /could be any auto parts store.

southman2272
05-09-2011, 09:11 AM
thanks for the help

Bazarommcmullen
05-12-2011, 12:12 PM
When ever you are turning on other items such as headlights, winshield wipers, or heat/AC the voltage is most likely fluctuating and when the voltage fluctuates you will see an oposition to current. As voltage increases current decreases and as votage decreases current increases.