PDA

View Full Version : Just built my first dry cell!

Dpt618
04-21-2011, 01:55 PM
I started experimenting with wet cells a few years ago and had limited success. My first dry cell is much better.also using koh instead of baking soda. Just connected to my saturn,have my efie connected cell is connected to its own battery because it is drawing too many amps but its a start.All the info on here has been awesome.Thanks every one now off to fine tune.

BioFarmer93
04-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Pictures or it didn't happen- LOL! Oh, and welcome to the forum.

TrafficTrader
04-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Dpt618,

How you doing?...

Any updated info on your setup?

I run a saturn too. going through my 4th rebuilt of my unit... Having fun learning HHO.

Kelly

Dpt618
04-24-2011, 05:47 AM
Still have a lot of changes but it is a start. It is 17 plates 3x6 -nnn+nnn-nnn+nnn- .I have a port on either side of cell was thinking of making another lower port on either side. I have the wires sandwiched between the gasket and plates.Also have a starter relay to energize with seperate battery. Found relay was heating up not sure if it was from the amperage or if maybe its not meant for continuous use.

Dpt618
04-24-2011, 05:53 AM
My car is a 1999 Saturn sc1. It is capable of getting 40+ mpg so im hoping to aproach 50mpg. This is a pic from friday. Took apart to add more plates but had problems bolting together(need to get some threaded rod).Also changed electrolyte concentration.

BioFarmer93
04-24-2011, 07:12 AM
Hey Dpt,
Looks like you're off to a good start, but you honestly need to have at least 5 neutral (bipolar) plates between each power plate... Six might be even better because you have to bring that voltage per cell down at least into the low 2's -high 1's is even better. Were you able to get your plates sand blasted somewhere? If not then see if you can find someone to do that for you because it will increase your production a good bit. Lastly, did you weigh out your KOH and figure its weight @ 28% of the weight of distilled water that you used? It's OK if you mixed it a little bit stronger, but if you mixed it weaker then it's not passing as much electricity as it could be, and lowering your production.
As an aside, I noticed that you've got your bolts spaced out pretty far from your plate edges and this is bowing your plastic end plates. Hope you're not having any leakage from it.. You can (it looks like) possibly go with 1/4-20 hardware in new holes on your same set of end plates. You should probably go with about half again as many bolts as you have now to keep your clamping forces even around the perimeter. Keep up the good work and keep us posted with updates and pictures... We LOVE pictures!:D

lhazleton
04-24-2011, 09:34 AM
Keep up the good work and keep us posted with updates and pictures... We LOVE pictures!:D

Gus,
HAPPY EASTER!
What, are you all of a sudden obsessed with pictures?????????:D
Screw pictures, I want video!!!!!!!!!
As far as KOH percentage goes, isn't it true that anything over 28% will inhibit electron flow? This is what I've always heard, but doesn't necessarily make it so.

Dpt618
04-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Should the plates be wired in series? Right now they are wired in parallel.

BioFarmer93
04-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Dpt,
The plates should be wired [+NNNNN-NNNNN+NNNNN-]. This will bring your voltage down into the low 2's if you are running off of the alt., if off of a dedicated non-alt. connected battery, then slightly less than 2v per cell. According to your plate size, figure your amperage draw at roughly .375A per sq. in. with 28% KOH electrolyte- draw might be a little higher though, depending on whether you media blasted your plates or not.

LEE! Happy Easter to you too buddy, and for the KOH percentage, there is a significant distance percentage-wise that you have to raise it before you start to see any electron flow inhibition. I forgot the actual number but remember being impressed that it was so much. One of the things that I would just go look up if the underground was still in business... R.I.P.

H2OPWR
04-24-2011, 07:19 PM
Gus,
HAPPY EASTER!
What, are you all of a sudden obsessed with pictures?????????:D
Screw pictures, I want video!!!!!!!!!
As far as KOH percentage goes, isn't it true that anything over 28% will inhibit electron flow? This is what I've always heard, but doesn't necessarily make it so.

Lee, I can positively verify that getting over 28% KOH does not lower effeciency. Everyone that starts with 28% is quickly over that with just a little run time. Quantum Sphere who pionered the nano coated plates starts at 33% KOH. I personally have used 50% as a test.

Larry

TrafficTrader
04-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Dpt618,

I run a 98 twin cam 1.9liter Saturn 29mpg. Today I got my first positive reading of 40.18mpg after 5 rebuild on my system.... I'm running a Volo Chip for my computer settings.

I was 2 units -nnn+nnn- at 30amps (too high) I expanded to -nnnnn+nnnnn- on both units at 15 amps draw...

I'm running a thread in this same area. http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=6823

You have some great help here, these guys know what there are talking about...