PDA

View Full Version : Switching our Company to HHO. Need some advise.

SouthStarRD
04-19-2011, 05:08 AM
Hey Ya'll,

I run operations at a medical transport company here in GA. With gas spiking, we’re looking at converting our ambulance fleet to HHO. They all run diesel and they are most 7.3 liter engines.

I was hoping I could get some input for those of you that have been doing this longer than I. Is putting a generator in a larger vehicle feasible? And if so what sizes would you recommend? How many LPM? We understand off the shelf ordering may be touch and go but I would love some advise from you guys.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

SouthStar R&D

P.S. Anyone ever given any thought to running the Hydrogen into the engine and running the O2 into a compressor so we can fill our O2 tanks onboard the ambulance? Just an idea, granted probably nota great one.

koya1893
04-19-2011, 05:22 AM
With that size engine, what year are they? 7.3 none turbo and turbo version, not sure what year, but Bio an expert on diesel engine can help. Either way you can run 2-3 lpm and see 2-3 mpg gain, I say that because I've installed several system on late 90's F-350 with 7.3 turbo. All the date I have are with client towing their Fifth wheels and still see that much gain.
The key is to install the system so you can run a 1-2gl reservior and have a tall or large volume bubbler to scrub the HHO before it enters the intake.

One thing to be aware of; the syste will reauire daily monitoring especially the bubbler.

SouthStarRD
04-19-2011, 05:29 AM
Most of our fleet are 2002-2005 and most do run turbo chargers on them. Would that be a problem? I assume we can still run the hho directly to the intake. But I know what assuming does, so I'd love your take. I'd love to hear from Bio as well.

koya1893
04-19-2011, 06:59 AM
Most of our fleet are 2002-2005 and most do run turbo chargers on them. Would that be a problem? I assume we can still run the hho directly to the intake. But I know what assuming does, so I'd love your take. I'd love to hear from Bio as well.

Turbo 7.3 is not a problem, if anything it will be at your advantage. You will find that the newer models system are able to adjust imint accordingly to take full advantage of the HHO being induced.

so focus on a dry cell; one either build one from all the data in here, two if you buy one from a vendor make sure they provide you with a sketch or photo of the plates they use. a lot who claim their fame from their production and design, I found they are using the old design, hole size, arrangement and plate configuration. all of those are several of the key design elements for good production.

One things discovered on the F-350, if the alt has 60-70K miles it will give out after the HOD is installed. so planned of upgrading the alt on your trucks or foresee them going out within the 2-5K miles after the system being installed.

BioFarmer93
04-19-2011, 03:14 PM
SouthStar & Ben,
By saying medical transport I would guess that those units came equipped with the 200A ambulance alternator package? If so then that will work just fine unless there are several other high amp draws against the alt at one time. The possibilities for mileage improvements on the '02-'05 Powerstroke's are huge, with the addition of HHO being only one factor in the overall scheme.
These folks-
http://www.tsdieselperformance.com/site/1617113/page/916612
and these folks-
http://www.advancediesel.net/product.sc?categoryId=6&productId=12
both make chips for the vehicles computer that save you from 2 to 7 mpg while at the same time giving you 50hp or more to the rear wheels.. Seems impossible, but the newer diesels are digitally managed and come from the dealer with very mediocre settings. Water/alcohol injection is another mileage extender although most gearheads think that it is only for racing. Not the case at all. These three technologies combined will give you about 9 to 10 mpg improvements. But- drivers are drivers... You'll have to emphasize to your people that just because the old beast has a lot more pep these days does not mean they get to dance the cha-cha on the skinny pedal! That's probably the biggest disguiser of mileage gains for most folks. A couple other things you can do also, use AmsOil 15W-40 diesel & marine synthetic oil. Make absolutely sure there are NO boost leaks at all coming off of the turbo's and go to high flow-high performance air filters. Oh yeah, almost forgot- Don't believe Ben, HE'S actually the new diesel guy, I'm the B.E. -oldschool diesel guy.. You know, Before Electronics!:D

koya1893
04-19-2011, 03:27 PM
SouthStar & Ben,
By saying medical transport I would guess that those units came equipped with the 200A ambulance alternator package? If so then that will work just fine unless there are several other high amp draws against the alt at one time. The possibilities for mileage improvements on the '02-'05 Powerstroke's are huge, with the addition of HHO being only one factor in the overall scheme.
These folks-
http://www.tsdieselperformance.com/site/1617113/page/916612
and these folks-
http://www.advancediesel.net/product.sc?categoryId=6&productId=12
both make chips for the vehicles computer that save you from 2 to 7 mpg while at the same time giving you 50hp or more to the rear wheels.. Seems impossible, but the newer diesels are digitally managed and come from the dealer with very mediocre settings. Water/alcohol injection is another mileage extender although most gearheads think that it is only for racing. Not the case at all. These three technologies combined will give you about 9 to 10 mpg improvements. But- drivers are drivers... You'll have to emphasize to your people that just because the old beast has a lot more pep these days does not mean they get to dance the cha-cha on the skinny pedal! That's probably the biggest disguiser of mileage gains for most folks. A couple other things you can do also, use AmsOil 15W-40 diesel & marine synthetic oil. Make absolutely sure there are NO boost leaks at all coming off of the turbo's and go to high flow-high performance air filters. Oh yeah, almost forgot- Don't believe Ben, HE'S actually the new diesel guy, I'm the B.E. -oldschool diesel guy.. You know, Before Electronics!:D

Thanks Gus, for that train load of info, and yes, my knowledge on diesel is about the same as my expertise about electronics, very little. but not bad for an "olde Salty Chief" and grease monkey. So, does mean I don't get to keep my "MENTOR" status in here? Also, with these info I can pass it on to several clients to try on their rigs.

SouthStarRD
04-20-2011, 06:28 AM
Bio. First off, you are the man. Secondly, I just want to clarify. Given our drivers lay off the lead foot, you are saying that we would be able to not only get the benifits and boost from the HHO, but an addistion boost above and beyond from the chip controllers? If we're getting an average of 16 mpg now, what would you project our end result could be?

On a side note, you mentioned, "if there aren't too many companant drawing amperage..." or something along those lines. The question is would a solar panel or 2 on top of our trucks suppliment some of those devices? Or is that unrelated?Something like the attached picture.

Again thank you so much for your help. You are a wealth of information

BioFarmer93
04-20-2011, 08:09 AM
SouthStar,
Given the implementation of all three methods, I see no reason why 24-26mpg wouldn't be unobtainable.
Solar panels- now your thinking.. Only helpful during the day & when unshaded but helpful none the less, especially if used to keep a dedicated HHO system battery charged, at night you would use the battery isolator switch you installed for this to put the HHO battery back onto the main (alternator) charging circuit when A/C or heating demands would be less.

SouthStarRD
04-20-2011, 10:11 AM
So Here's one more for you Bio, since you've answer every question above and beyond... What are you thoughts on trying to harness the O2 into on board tanks? Too risky? Trying to be inovative here, but know things like to explode like Apollo when O2 is present. Would love your thoughts.

BioFarmer93
04-20-2011, 12:06 PM
Nahgood... You want the O in the HHO to be there- it does its part in the equation too. If you want to make your own O2 to save money in the long run, then throw some solar (PV) panels on the garage roof and build some splitter reactors. I have some clean up to do now, just sprayed the the house's roof white to save on the A/C bills- but I'll get into this more with you later. There are certain protocols that must be met for this O2 method.