PDA

View Full Version : Engine Damage Likely?

Outmodeduser
04-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Hi! This is my first post, I have tried to learn as much as I could from lurking haha. I have recently embarked on building an HHO generating cell. I have had no problems constructing the cell itself, but I have not done any tests yet.
My question is, without any modification to the ECU or MAP/MAF sensor, could I damage the engine of my car purely by including the HHO into the intake manifold? It is a 1991 Kia Sportage. Right now I only have one 7 plate cell, and would really only like to hook everything up for tests, see if I can get any gains without any ECU/O2 Sensor/MAP/MAF tweaking.
So, in closing, could a plain jane HHO generator hooked up to a manifold (with backfire arrestors and bubblers of course) damage the engine itself? If so, what should I look out for?
Thank you!

myoldyourgold
04-05-2011, 02:56 PM
So, in closing, could a plain jane HHO generator hooked up to a manifold (with backfire arrestors and bubblers of course) damage the engine itself? If so, what should I look out for?

Notice the red word above. Did you mean to the air cleaner or some other non vacuum spot preferably after the MAP/MAF? If this is the case then NO. If you are going to hook up to the manifold where there is vacuum you might have problems.

koya1893
04-05-2011, 03:24 PM
I like it when I am home, internet access is not restricted. As Myold mentioned do not hook it up to the intake manifold, to expand that even more. do not hook it up to any source with constant vacuum. As far, as hooking up a system without any ECU control you should not have any problem, you will need to flow the HHO through a scrubber (bubbler) to clean the gas before it enters the intake (air cleaner). Your car being a Kia I daught the system is as advance llike Toyota or Honda, hence you might see gain until the ECU catches up and learn what is going on.

When finally get a system you are happy with and produce enough for the size engine (.5lpm per 1 liter of engine displacement) you will need to treat the O2 sensors. Both if you have pre cat and post cat. The car being the old it will probably have narrow band system.
http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/digital-narrowband-series
You will need this type of EFIE, also make you sure you review the video in that site it will help you determine how to find the right signal wire.

Outmodeduser
04-06-2011, 03:30 AM
Did you mean to the air cleaner or some other non vacuum spot preferably after the MAP/MAF?
Its obvious I don't know to much haha. Thanks for that, I honestly would have just placed a line into the intake manifold.

you will need to flow the HHO through a scrubber (bubbler) to clean the gas before it enters the intake (air cleaner)
I have a bubbler all set and ready.

Thanks for the replies guys!