PDA

View Full Version : How easy should 316l stainless steel rest?

ravenv12
04-05-2011, 02:02 PM
How easy should 316l stainless steel rest? I ordered a dry cell, the person I got it from said is was 316l stainless steel, but it might resting pretty easy. I took it apart to look at it . My girlfriend got water on it. she tried to clean it up. But next day there was rust forming on the sheets.

I have used 316l stainless steel but I don't remember it doing this . I have also built 2 small dry cells.

koya1893
04-05-2011, 03:32 PM
reading you post I think you meant RUST. The metallurgical composition of SS is to prevent RUST from happening due to the enviroment it was design to be used in and strenght of course. Now having said that I've had SS parts on my boat that revealed some surface rust, this is because another material (not SSS) dust or just making contact with it created the surface rust. It should just rub of, now just a drop of water created rust, that means someone lied to you about those plates being SS even 304 don't rust that fast. You find out the quality of the plates once you induce NaOH or KOH and current to it. The solution will turn brown also like tea or even chocolate milk.

ravenv12
04-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Well I doubt I can get my money back, maybe I can is through paypal. the person I bought it from told me after you sent the dry cell up . you have to clean the water every 20 hours. But thanks for letting me know about the RUST .

myoldyourgold
04-06-2011, 05:18 AM
Are your plates magnetic? If they are, they are most likely not 316L. Other wise the material has been contaminated with some kind of rusting material. It could be in the form of very small particles. Media blast the plates and wash them good with acetone and then with a week NaOH solution. If you can not send them back that is about the best you can do.