PDA

View Full Version : 12v NO AMPS...?

alphatonic
04-01-2011, 07:45 AM
This is my first electrolyzer. I re-wired a PC power supply to run it. Im giving the electrolyzer 12v and im getting a lil HHO out of it but not much. I have a amp probe hooked around the yellow 12v power wires from the power supply and It reads no amps what so ever. Ive shorted out 2 power supplies but still no amps (by adding more naOH slowly in stages.) Is the power supply not enough? Has this happened to anyone else?

alphatonic
04-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Forgot to mention the power supply is 300W

BioFarmer93
04-01-2011, 09:09 AM
This is my first electrolyzer. I re-wired a PC power supply to run it. Im giving the electrolyzer 12v and im getting a lil HHO out of it but not much. I have a amp probe hooked around the yellow 12v power wires from the power supply and It reads no amps what so ever. Ive shorted out 2 power supplies but still no amps (by adding more naOH slowly in stages.) Is the power supply not enough? Has this happened to anyone else?

Is it an A/C clamp meter? If so then it won't read DC amps... 300W @ 12V is roughly 25A, so you should be showing something. Suggest you stop by NAPA or AutoZone & pick up a cheap in-line automotive amp meter.

alphatonic
04-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Is it an A/C clamp meter? If so then it won't read DC amps... 300W @ 12V is roughly 25A, so you should be showing something. Suggest you stop by NAPA or AutoZone & pick up a cheap in-line automotive amp meter.

I didnt think that mattered on amps, either way mine works on both.
Whats the smallest wattage power supply that I would want to use on a 7-4x4 plate drycell??

alphatonic
04-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Also, it stays COLD... never warms up at all. not the cell or the terminals. Im about to try and throw 24v at it just to see if I can get a reaction

BioFarmer93
04-01-2011, 12:59 PM
I didnt think that mattered on amps, either way mine works on both.
Whats the smallest wattage power supply that I would want to use on a 7-4x4 plate drycell??

Yours works on both? Really? Then take a photo of the front of it and post it so I know what brand and model to buy for myself, OK?
4x4 wet area, right? Figure 1/4 amp per sq. in. of wet area and only count 1 side of each plate. So, 28 sq. in.x1/4 amp=7 amps. Amps x volts = watts. You say you have your power supply set at 12v, right? We already figured that based on your sq. in. you can only use 7 amps, right? So, 7Ax12V=84W

alphatonic
04-03-2011, 06:52 AM
Actually no it doesn't do ac/dc, I thought it did. I kept getting .03a on my pc hard drive while it was running but that must have been a fluke. I went and bought a auto dash amp meter. I figured out what the problem is. My power supply is only rated for 10a at 12v. I dont have enough power to push it any further.
Here is a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntUGJnvOeSU&feature=related

alphatonic
04-03-2011, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the formula! thats very helpful!
I can push it further than 7amps as long as it doesnt get to hot tho right? and as long as I dont start pumping out vapor

myoldyourgold
04-03-2011, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the formula! thats very helpful!
I can push it further than 7amps as long as it doesnt get to hot tho right? and as long as I dont start pumping out vapor

What happens when you push it over 7 amps you start destroying the plates which might result in the production of Cr (VI). That is a no no. If your plates are media blasted this all might change but there is a lot of testing still needed to confirm this.

Bhart
04-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Alpha, you need a separate inlet for the elyte from the gas outlet. You can see from your video how the level of elyte reduces when the gas is produced and the elyte level increases when the gas escapes. It would be best to have two ports, one on each side for inlet as well as outlet.

alphatonic
04-04-2011, 04:48 AM
Alpha, you need a separate inlet for the elyte from the gas outlet. You can see from your video how the level of elyte reduces when the gas is produced and the elyte level increases when the gas escapes. It would be best to have two ports, one on each side for inlet as well as outlet.

There is a inlet on one side and a outlet on the other. Inlet is around an inch lower than the outlet on the opposite side.
The water level fluctuates real bad when the voltage or amperage is low.
When I got the voltage up to 11.50 and the amps around 8 it stopped fluctuating. I was worried about that untill I realized I just needed to get the power up.
Kinda at a stand still untill I get more power or build another electrolyzer. This one isnt giving me much HHO at 11v-12v 8-10amps...

Beside's a car battery charger or a microwave what is a good power source? What and where are these bench top power supplies I keep seeing in different videos? ones with digital readouts and adjustable outputs

alphatonic
04-05-2011, 05:08 AM
I decided to change the plate array around. It was -NN+NN- which only took about 1tsp naOH per liter to get up to 8amps with low production. Now I set it to +NNNNN- Ive put about 15tsp of naOH and just now starting to see some production. I hate using such a concentrated dose to run it but if I can get a lot more HHO out of it Ill be happy. Going to see how it goes