PDA

View Full Version : testing amps question?

overtaker
07-31-2008, 05:01 PM
When testing the amps. your cell is using with a multimeter ,do you measure across the cell or does it have to be in-line? Thanks

liberybell
07-31-2008, 05:08 PM
No sure if I understand you question, but the way I measure the amps on my cell is by plugging a amperimeter in the positive terminal of the cell.

Painless
07-31-2008, 05:33 PM
When testing the amps. your cell is using with a multimeter ,do you measure across the cell or does it have to be in-line? Thanks

You need to connect your multimeter thus:

Battery positive -> multimeter negative -> multimeter positive -> Electrolyzer positive.

Someone please correct me if this is wrong!

stickittoopec
07-31-2008, 05:46 PM
If you have a standard multimeter be sure to plug the positive lead in the amps socket and set for the highest amp setting first. Be sure to have a good idea what to expect so as not to fry the meter.
It will need to be in-line and there are two places to get the reading depending on your access.
1- put the positive lead on the positive wire or positive on battery and the neg lead to the positive terminal of the electrolyzer.
2- put the positive on the negative terminal of the electrolyzer and the negative lead on the ground wire or negative on battery. Either way you will have to remove one of the wires to the electrolyzer.
Hope this helps.

overtaker
07-31-2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks guys, that explains some of my earlier readings. I was reading across the cell not unhooking either jumper cable. :(

Stratous
07-31-2008, 07:19 PM
you should have shorted out your unit doing it that way

Omega
07-31-2008, 11:23 PM
If your multimeter doesn't have the range to handle 15, 20 or whatever amps you need to measure, you can use a shunt to do the job.

Here's a link to a YouTube video that explains it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65EiiE4NoDI

Also, dennis13030 had a post with instructions about using a specific resistor that would accomplish the same thing. It's post #2 in this thread:
http://hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=582&highlight=meter

EltonBrandd
08-01-2008, 12:45 AM
Try this tool out. It goes up to 30 amps. You just plug it in to you fuse slot and it measures the amperage. It is much more accurate than that 12 dollar sun gage. http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/esi306b.html

waterworld
08-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Simply openthe jaws of the meter and clamp around either power supply or ground wire. Its inductive and very accurate.430

Q-Hack!
08-01-2008, 01:03 PM
I agree using a clamp style amp meter is the way to go here. Most simple multimeters are only good up to about 10 amps. We routinely use 15-25 amps and I have even hit 35 amps on one of my tests.

BAD MEDICINE
08-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Is there a particular brand or model that is best? Where should I look for it?

Q-hack,

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. "
George Orwell

Its folks like us that help grab that boot and pull ourselves up.... it takes constant struggle to resist evil.