PDA

View Full Version : Land speed record attempt

buktooth
03-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Hey folks could you clear up some myths. I am thinking of trying to beat a land speed record using compressed hydrogen. It will be in a small motorcycle engine. The motorcycle has to run at full throttle for 3 miles, turn around replace with new hydrogen tank, run back 3 miles at full throttle again. I have a stand alone ecm with electronic injectors for injecting gases.Hydrogen would NOT be made on board. It will come from a 2500 psi cylinder from welding gas supplier and regulated to a lower pressure for injectors. Could I get some questions answered?
1. Is it even possible to do it with a cylinder full of almost 100% hydrogen gas the same size of a welding cylinder?
2. Am I correct that the stoich a/f ratio of hydrogen is 34:1 (34 parts air to 1 part hydrogen)? Should I run it at this mixture?
3. Is it true that I should expect sight loss in power (@20%) compaired to running it on gasoline?
4. Can I run the engine with a throttle blade or should it be removed and run with wide open port?
5. Is there anyone in this forum running an engine in a performance application on straight hydrogen?
Thanks in advance!