PDA

View Full Version : Best FOAM suppressant for BIG HHO Dry Cell?!

borescopeit
02-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Anybody already figured out how to make best FOAM suppressant for BIG HHO Dry Cell?! If not, then I did and I am very pleased with it.

It both suppresses all foam coming out from my big cell, and filters electrolyte at 5 micron rate!

Mainly, the FOAM is a sign of dirty cell/electrolyte. While I was conditioning my cell for about 100 hours I had a lot of crap coming out of it. After reassembling the cell and putting new e-lyte in the foam formation dropped for about 90%!

Take look at this YouTube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvW2pMkRcvQ) and tell me what you think! I use it on my cell for 2 weeks already and it never failed me, though I am scheduling to change the filter cartridge every 3-4 weeks periodically. The cartridge in the filter is a special one, and can be found at Menards for about $6 a piece.

Comment regarding DeFoamer solutions: I tried two of them, and all these solutions do not withstand high temperatures along with the KOH. The Solutions I tried are "Defoamer by HTH SPA" from Walmart, and "Defoamer by Southern AG" bough on eBay. First one is complete BS, second one works way better but has to be replenished. The problem with replenishing the Defoamer solutions is that when it breaks down it forms white silicone flakes that gather all micro particles together and then are prone to get stuck between the plates making very conductive spots there and as a result these flakes conduct more electricity through them and kill plates surface right there! My advise, Do not use any Defoamer solutions, Just go with a filter I integrated into my cell. It cost me around $50 with the fittings and mounting bracket, but it is worth of it!

lhazleton
02-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Very nice job on the video. You can clearly see the difference the new filter makes when you turn it off. Keep up the great work! :)

borescopeit
02-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Very nice job on the video. You can clearly see the difference the new filter makes when you turn it off. Keep up the great work! :)

Thank you!

When I purposed to install this extra filter I has only e-lyte filtration on my mind, but it surprised me with foam suppressing performance.

As I said, you need to use special cartridge, since other cartridges I tried make big but clear bubbles that flood my reservoir.

The filter cartridge has wool like rolled white string on it. It is 5 micron, good for 15,000 gallons or 3 month. Pack of two costs about $12 in Menards. I recommend replacing the cartridge every month if your cell runs heavily, in order not to create backpressure on the filter and push gas backwards.

bobsbbq
02-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Can you please tell the name or type of filter, composition etc so we can try to find it easier?

Also how much was the dupont filter housing and where did you buy it?

Video looks very good