PDA

View Full Version : Getting around the dreaded ECU on newer cars?

bobsbbq
02-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Ok I have read a lot and I read much about fooling or correcting the ECU input to help get the MPG gains we would like to have, and that are more available on non ECU models.

Question is can we actually overcome the ECU? I'm preparing to install and test on a 1998 Oldsmobile Regency. It has all the OBD2 stuff.

Will the Volo chip correct everything?

Does using manual adjusters work better than the Volo chips? Or do you have to use both and if so which ones?

Let face it making HHO on the bench is one thing. But getting the benefits in the car is another.

It seams that from 2007-2009 there were a lot of enthusiast in this technology. But it seams the numbers have dwindled down. I notice many of and probably the majority of youtube videos were from this 2007-2009 time frame.

I guess I wondering why the dwindling numbers and will I be beating a dead horse try to overcome the ECU?

Thanks for any comments and guidance.

koya1893
02-18-2011, 05:47 AM
Ok I have read a lot and I read much about fooling or correcting the ECU input to help get the MPG gains we would like to have, and that are more available on non ECU models.

Question is can we actually overcome the ECU? I'm preparing to install and test on a 1998 Oldsmobile Regency. It has all the OBD2 stuff.

I've tested the chip it did not work for me. Get yourself a proven EFIE. Your Olds system is easy to overcome the ECU, it will take patient on your part, but with the help of others here with great sucess. You'll see good mpg gain. I recommend an EFIE from Fuel Saver (Digital Quad) model.

Does using manual adjusters work better than the Volo chips? Or do you have to use both and if so which ones?
Do not use botht he Volo and an EFIE. Manual adjusting will yield better result.

Let face it making HHO on the bench is one thing. But getting the benefits in the car is another.
Making it on the bence should be the same when install in the car or truck. It is the adjusting on the EFIE that will take time to find the sweet spot. To give you a good start, when you get an EFIE and identified the correct signal wire. Set you rear O2 to 250mv and the front O2 to 350mv. Drive with that setting for 300-500 miles. You should see a lilttle gain from that setting then report back here I have more to follow.

It seams that from 2007-2009 there were a lot of enthusiast in this technology. But it seams the numbers have dwindled down. I notice many of and probably the majority of youtube videos were from this 2007-2009 time frame.

I guess I wondering why the dwindling numbers and will I be beating a dead horse try to overcome the ECU?

It is because people who get introduce to the process wants a "turn key" system. You will not find that unless you are driving a diesel, even then you need to do some fine tuning towards max gain. then only then you have a turn key system, just minor upkeeps, like oil changes in your car.

The most challenging system are the Honda's with their wide band or AFR O2.

Thanks for any comments and guidance.

[QUOTE=bobsbbq;42793]Ok I have read a lot and I read much about fooling or correcting the ECU input to help get the MPG gains we would like to have, and that are more available on non ECU models.

I've tested the chip it did not work for me. Get yourself a proven EFIE. Your Olds system is easy to overcome the ECU, it will take patient on your part, but with the help of others here with great sucess. You'll see good mpg gain. I recommend an EFIE from Fuel Saver (Digital Quad) model.

Do not use botht he Volo and an EFIE. Manual adjusting will yield better result.

Making it on the bence should be the same when install in the car or truck. It is the adjusting on the EFIE that will take time to find the sweet spot. To give you a good start, when you get an EFIE and identified the correct signal wire. Set you rear O2 to 250mv and the front O2 to 350mv. Drive with that setting for 300-500 miles. You should see a lilttle gain from that setting then report back here I have more to follow.

It is because people who get introduce to the process wants a "turn key" system. You will not find that unless you are driving a diesel, even then you need to do some fine tuning towards max gain. then only then you have a turn key system, just minor upkeeps, like oil changes in your car.

bobsbbq
02-18-2011, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE=bobsbbq;42793]Ok I have read a lot and I read much about fooling or correcting the ECU input to help get the MPG gains we would like to have, and that are more available on non ECU models.

Thanks for your answers, they are very helpful. I have already ordered a Volo so it might be a waste of money or just good experience and then thrown aside.

So can I ask if compared between these two type of EFIE's
http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/digital-narrowband-series/quad-digital-efie or http://www.xdponline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=182 is there any advantages of one or the other? Other than the LCD digital controller is easier to adjust is there anything in the FuelSaver Quad that would be more advantageous? They are about the same price, actually the LCD is 5.00 cheaper.

koya1893
02-19-2011, 08:11 AM
As fas, as the Volo I was able to return it with the explanation: it did not work or performed as it was advertise. I never use the other EFIE, then again I am not a "tron" chaser so I really can't give you any comparison between the two. I've work with Mike EFIE for awhile now and use them on all my installs. Plus, I've develop a pattern to install them quickly after the signal wire has been identified.

I am sure many in the forum will agree with me on this. The gain will varie on how efficient you cell is. I had one guy told me he duplicated my cell: size, gap and the configuration. He was producing 1 lpm at 30 amps. I saw the plates he was using. they had a hug channel on the bottom and top, which in my book he created a cell close to being wet cell with the amount gap and voltage leakage from the channel.

bobsbbq
02-20-2011, 07:39 AM
I received my OBD2Link Tester. And I'm confused about 1 thing. It shows I have in Bank 1 O2 Sensor 1, which is working properly I think. Then it shows I have a Bank 1 O2 Sensor 2, but this one I was unable to click or view in the software which came with the OBDLink.

With my Torque Android software using bluetooth I was able to set a graph for both of these O2 Sensors. The O2 Sensor #2 is showing a 99 or .99 maxed out signal like it is not there or not working.

I'm just wondering if I even have this second sensor or not, or if it is bad? I get no trouble codes so not sure.