PDA

View Full Version : Max operating temp for PCV?

TreyNC
07-31-2008, 09:18 AM
Does any one know this information. I am thinking of using a water filter with a 125f max temp so I should be ok to maybe 175 at least. I want to know if PCV may last to a higher temp?

Smith03Jetta
07-31-2008, 09:27 AM
PVC gets softer as it's temperature increases from it's rated temperature of 73 F. It's MAX operating temperature is 140 F. It will start to warp and bend way before 140 F if force is applied to the PVC from inside or outside. The pipe will begin to fail and separate from fittings/caps etc. as the temp rises above 140 F.

I used a water filter housing rated at 100 F. It withstood temps of up to 150 or higher with no problems. The rubber gasket increased in diameter but the clear plastic housing had no noticeable problems. A hot wire, however melted halfway through the housing.

BoyntonStu
07-31-2008, 09:51 AM
CPVC is higher temp

Dewayne
07-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Temp rating for PVC is 140, ABS is 180.

Smith03Jetta
07-31-2008, 11:34 AM
I occasionally make things out of ABS. I put sheets of ABS in the oven and heat it up to 200 F. It will warp and bend around objects until it drops in temp down to 180 F or so. That process is how manufacturers make form fitting pistol holsters and knife sheaths from ABS.

TreyNC
07-31-2008, 03:47 PM
What do you guys use, is there a commercially made container that withstands heat. Or is there a metal container lined that seals easily or could a ss container be used as the container its self being part of the electrolysis process?

Jaxom
07-31-2008, 04:57 PM
I've run my first PVC cell hot to the point that it boiled the water out on a high-current bench test (pushing 35 amps through it and melting Gatorade bottles with an impromptu HHO torch.) It had softened a little at 220F but had not deformed and did not suffer any permanent damage. After cooling down it's just fine and is still in use, although the lid does screw in about 1.5 turns farther than it used to.

Smith03Jetta
07-31-2008, 05:07 PM
I like brightly colored Pelican Cases.

mario brito
07-31-2008, 06:00 PM
What do you guys use, is there a commercially made container that withstands heat. Or is there a metal container lined that seals easily or could a ss container be used as the container its self being part of the electrolysis process?

smith : LOL ! :) i like your style !

anyway, using a SS container has a few problems as you can see here :

http://hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=664

thanks

EltonBrandd
08-01-2008, 01:48 AM
I made my smack cell out of 4" ABS, the electrolyte gets up to 160F. It has never even felt soft. ABS construction has an air core design. This insulates the cell pretty well from the outside temperature under the hood.

Smith03Jetta
08-01-2008, 08:55 AM
If you can guaranted that your cell will never get above 180 F you should be fine using ABS. The only problem that I have with that assumption is that you not only have to consider the internal heat that the plates/water/electricity makes but you also have to consider the heat radiating from the engine block into the engine compartment after the car stops. The temperature can easily reach over 200 F.

I did a little research this morning and I've determined that OEM electronics manufacturers test Electronics/plastics components to be able to resist engine compartment temperatures of 125C/257F. If they can't withstand that temperature they don't qualify to be installed under the hood of an automobile.

The case that I'm using is rated at over 200F but I install it under my bumper outside of the engine compartment.

Remember, it's not the heat that the electrolyzer creates that is your real enemy. It's the heat from the engine that's the problem. The temp under the hood while the car is moving is relatively low but when the car stops it increases.

You can lower the overall temperature under the hood by placing a temperature sensor under the hood and activating the car's electric radiator fan when the temp gets too high. Some cars have this installed already.

TreyNC
08-01-2008, 09:08 AM
I have a great place in the engine compartment front drivers side, in front of the windshield washer and behind and to the side of the head light, there are holes in the grill directly in front of the area as well as being open to the underside. I was hoping this would be create some convection currents to help keep the heat away. If not this is a pick up, I could put it in the bed, I was just unsure of the distance the HHO would have to travel.