PDA

View Full Version : HHO for 3 clyinder Lister SR3 (diesel) 40 years old!

Narrowboat
02-01-2011, 11:27 AM
i'm going to fit a 21 plate dry cell with PWM bought from ebay (UK) to my lister sr3 air cooled diesel. really old engine but proven to be bullet proof. in winter is mainly used for battery charging. i use a seperate regulator for the alternator which will keeps the load on the alternator at about 90 amps for about 6/7 hours (when charging from flat-ish).

i am going to fit a small tank with a measured amount of fuel that ill change over to to test. 10 litres or so and see how long it lasts with and without HHO. anyone got any advice for me, before i start? i've included pic of the cell im going to buy and the old engine! the engine is spill timed to marks on the fly wheel. shims are inserted or removed. individual injection pumps operate off a cam shaft. each clyinder is basically seperate untill the crankshaft.

i'd like to use the least amount of diesel, will add more cells if necessary. what you think?

cheers! oh! what i was looking to do in summer is use my solar panels and 1100A/hr battery bank to power the hho and disconnect the alternator. this is for moving the boat.

http://www.realdiesels.co.uk/identify/sr3.jpg
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=190491533707

Narrowboat
02-01-2011, 11:31 AM
seems hho cell pic didn't work. its a powermax ogo, dunno if that means anything.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190491533707&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

BioFarmer93
02-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Lovely! Now, order 4 more neutral plates and 4 more gaskets with that kit and you'll be more properly set. I LOVE old Listers.. If you really want to stretch you economy, find a decent (used) little turbo from a Mitsubishi eclipse and pipe it up whilst turning down your fuel a bit. Diesels can't run lean, just slower, so no worries there. Being a Lister of a certain vintage means that she can quite easily run a mix of (well filtered) waste motor oil 50/50 with expensive diesel. You might consider a small pure diesel tank for starting and stopping, and a much larger tank of Mix for the long runs. Best of luck and please keep us informed- By the way, welcome to the forum.

Narrowboat
02-02-2011, 01:17 AM
thanks for replying, you wouldn't recommend hho at all? might look into running it on waste veg oil.

BioFarmer93
02-02-2011, 04:40 PM
thanks for replying, you wouldn't recommend hho at all? might look into running it on waste veg oil.

I'm sorry, I certainly didn't mean to give the impression that you shouldn't run HHO! Of course you should! As for WVO, if you can get it, fine- use it. I have had little luck in locating any here in north Florida because the recyclers snap it up like honey! Much more luck with the waste motor oil, hydraulic fluid & and automatic transmission fluid-(Henry says YUM!) Wasn't kidding about the little turbo either, you can find used ones for pence on the pound and it guarantees an automatic 10-12% fuel savings, possibly more for a stationary application or boat with few throttle setting changes...

koya1893
02-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Along the line of using WVO plus HHO. The diesel engine will love you for doing it. A local guy ran WVO for years in his 1983 Benz, the only complaint he had was the lack of power. so I introduced him to one of my cell and had him try it for a Month. He fell in love with it and decided to install one on his tractor he used in his farm.

BioFarmer93
02-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Along the line of using WVO plus HHO. The diesel engine will love you for doing it. A local guy ran WVO for years in his 1983 Benz, the only complaint he had was the lack of power. so I introduced him to one of my cell and had him try it for a Month. He fell in love with it and decided to install one on his tractor he used in his farm.

Hey Ben,
You know, I hear that from a lot of folks about the power loss from running WVO- I'm glad you were able to get him back up to speed w/ one of your units. The good thing about running WMO is that there is actually a power gain- can't wait to see how Henry acts with WMO & HHO!

Narrowboat
02-03-2011, 12:00 AM
cheers guys, first step for me is to get hold of a little turbo i think, good idea. then going to hopefully get the hho up and running for summer. i think it'll be quite interesting to run the hho off the battery bank with the alternator disconnected, have plenty of solar panels to keep charged up. no load on the engine might mean even more gain? fuel prices here are out of this world, you americans would have a fit if you saw them. i'll see if i can convert, £ to $ and litres to gallons... err....

Narrowboat
02-03-2011, 12:03 AM
it's $8 a gallon here (UK).

koya1893
02-03-2011, 04:21 AM
I was complaining about the price climbing to 3.25 a gl. WOW, we are here to help you and yes with little load on the engine you will probably see more gain.