PDA

View Full Version : flash back

rpatten
01-02-2011, 07:02 AM
can anyone help I'm experimenting with HHO. Does anyone know if I pressurised the HHO and forced it through an injector would this stop flash back?
I need a more constant stream of HHO which I can't get, it just flashes back and explodes, if I use a flash arrestor this gives a pulsing explosion and you need to constantly ignite it.
I've seen a jewellers welding torch working off of HHO and the only way I can think of them having a constant flame is by having the HHO pressurised and forced through an injector.
little help anyone??

hhoconnection
01-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Yes you need to build up a little pressure in order to make a torch. I use a #2 welding tip and I can sustain a small flame at 20 amps of power (1 lpm +- of HHO) from my 12 volt power supply. When I tried to use a larger tip I experienced what you did. Again let me stress, let a LITTLE pressure build up behind a smaller tip opening but NEVER STORE PRESSURIZED HHO!

Good Luck!

Saefroch
01-02-2011, 06:54 PM
I am a newbie, but I think I can see what's going on here. You're feeding an almost perfectly stoichiometric mix down a line, past a check valve, and igniting it. If the flow velocity cannot overcome the propagation of the flame front at the tip, it will burn back down the line until it hits the arrestor and the pressure differential shuts it, and the flame burns out. With constant ignition it just keeps burning back down to the flame arrestor, creating a "pulsing explosion." Decreasing the diameter of the nozzle would increase flow velocity and pressure behind the nozzle, thus preventing the flame front from propagating backwards.

So far as I know, the autoignition temperature of HHO is just over 1,000F, so the explosive hazard is rather unlikely, but it is still a bad idea to store it for any period of time with a safety factor less than 10.

rpatten
01-04-2011, 02:13 AM
right this is good thank you.
Basically I need to maintain pressure to the equivalent of say 10 torches then I've got a decent enough heat source to boil water. so from what you guys are saying, I'm going to need roughly 10lmp for 10 torches and 10 flash arrestors so as I don't nuke myself.
I am a heating engineer so this isn't beyond me making this work.
If your American this may not make a great deal of sense as you guys have furnesses that chuck out warm air, we have radiators in each room on a water filled heating circuit with a boiler and a pump to heat our homes that run on natural gas. Unfortunately they never bothered to run the gas pipe to my area so I'm looking at this for an alternative.

farmer
01-27-2011, 03:24 PM
wow your onto something there..if you can get it working.been wondering how i can heat my rads with hho for a while but i'm still busy sorting it out in my car. saw a guy using a cigarette butt and welding tip for a burning head on utube could that work? be careful and good luck

oicu812
01-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Just buy a hho flashback arrestor they don't cost much. Thats what I use and haven't had any problems.

Bhart
01-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Just buy a hho flashback arrestor they don't cost much. Thats what I use and haven't had any problems.
Check out this flashback arrester.
http://shop.ebay.com/bruceenergetics/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

koya1893
01-28-2011, 05:10 PM
I use these units Bruce makes, they work well up to 3 lpm. at least that's what I've experience, I've also used them for a small torce with as little as .5 lpm. As HHO connection mentioned use a MIG welder tip .020 anything larger you will not sustain the flame.