PDA

View Full Version : good try or waste

linkintiger
12-28-2010, 10:18 PM
i got "-NNNN+NNNN-" dry cell,by reading a couple posts i was wonder to try rebuild my cell and change only neutral plates to a mesh and leave - and + plates also connect the cell to extra ignition system instead of to a car's battery. What do you think? that will be a waste of money or good to try.

BioFarmer93
12-29-2010, 06:20 AM
i got "-NNNN+NNNN-" dry cell,by reading a couple posts i was wonder to try rebuild my cell and change only neutral plates to a mesh and leave - and + plates also connect the cell to extra ignition system instead of to a car's battery. What do you think? that will be a waste of money or good to try.

Linkin- If you build a bipolar (Tero style, neutral plate type) reactor with SS mesh (screen) it will be a complete waste of time and material. However, should you decide to build a mono-polar style reactor with that material +(+-+-+-+-)~(+-+-+-+-)~(+-+-+-+-)- the results could be quite interesting. I would suggest folding the screen over at least four times for each "plate" so that you will have no shortage of surface area. I built a reactor like this several years ago but never tested it because everyone said it wouldn't work, I found out much later it was because they all assumed that it was a Tero style with "neutral" or "bipolar" plates. It is however a "unipolar" design though and as such can have no current leakage. One word of advice- if you build it, be extremely careful to keep any stray "strands" of screen wire trimmed short and not touching any other "plate".

BioFarmer93
12-29-2010, 08:31 AM
May I ask where can you get the SS mesh material. How big are the holes? Is it similar to a screen door type mesh? I am looking for some SS mesh to use on my Vetter under the Carb.

Hey Chief,
How much do you need? I have a roll 36"x100' of .008" wire, 19x19 mesh (per inch) 316L. PM me your address and I'll send it to you. And yes, it looks just like screen door screen.

linkintiger
12-29-2010, 02:01 PM
thank you for the info but what about this ignition system as power source the reason why i'm asking because it gives way you more voltage in short pulses right so it shouldn't create heat and because the voltage will be bigger should be there more production?

BioFarmer93
12-29-2010, 07:30 PM
thank you for the info but what about this ignition system as power source the reason why i'm asking because it gives way you more voltage in short pulses right so it shouldn't create heat and because the voltage will be bigger should be there more production?

That's anywhere between 30,000 & 50,000 volts, depending on the model... That's enough pulsed high voltage to make a spark jump a gap on a spark plug, right? What the HELL do you think it's gonna do inside of an electrolyser full of a highly explosive gas?

linkintiger
12-29-2010, 08:46 PM
yup i guess you right

BioFarmer93
12-31-2010, 08:55 AM
Yeah, I probably could have put that a little nicer...
Linkin'- Extremely high voltage, even of very low amperage, loves to jump gaps of opposite potential, think of tasers and spark plugs... Sorry I yelled at you.