PDA

View Full Version : Anyone considered hydrogen tanks?

xXToteXx
12-19-2010, 06:06 PM
For someone like me who owns a 98 Ford F-150, the idea of having several plastic/kevlar tanks filled with hydrogen seems like a more effective idea than hydrogen on demand. Thinking, having the tanks in the bed of my truck and building an additional bedliner (steel) just above the tanks to somewhat hide their presence, and then setting up a station at my house finding someway to use a wind powered generator to do all my electrolysis work, and storing the gas in tanks to be used for consumption later. This way, all of the electrolysis process is free, and all those little gadgets under the hood aren't necessary.

Thing is, I don't know how to pressurize a tank with hydrogen to get it's maximum capacity usage. Anyone else played around with this idea?

-Tote

lhazleton
12-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Are you talking about storing HHO in tanks?

hhoconnection
12-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Is this what you have in mind?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CkVjONutBQ0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CkVjONutBQ0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

xXToteXx
12-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Is this what you have in mind?

Yep. Exactly that. But I'm not sure what process he is using, I still have the plates method in mind, just not sure how I would pressurize the tanks to their full potential. Thinking if I just hooked a hose up to the tank(s) in my truck that my bubbler would more than likely explode from pressure before it pressurized the tank(s) on my truck. And even if I added a blow-off valve into it somewhere would it pressurize the tanks to their maximum holding potential?

But to me that seems so much more reasonable because I could let it fill over night while I slept and then just unplug it in the morning and go. Versus start the truck, play with the EFIE, the PWM, etc.

xXToteXx
12-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Are you talking about storing HHO in tanks?

Yep. Makes sense to me to go that route if I can. All this tweaking and trying to get x amount of liters per minute to run the vehicle and having all the extra stuff under the hood, if I can get around that I'd prefer to.

hhoconnection
12-20-2010, 05:01 PM
Slow down there big guy! First of all if you noticed in the video he was using tanks made with special material (Hydrides) that you or I will never get our hands on. Second, you NEVER, EVER want to store HHO especially under pressure. Please don't even try. A guy in my town died last year doing just that. Straight Hydrogen maybe, but not HHO. Here is the story if you don't believe me:

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2010/jun/17/1-killed-2-injured-in-explosion-in-Simi-Valley-ind/?partner=yahoo_feeds

http://pesn.com/2010/06/18/9501662_water-fuel-research_Explosion_kills_inventor/

xXToteXx
12-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Hell I believe you. lol I mean really I didn't know why I hadn't read more about storage versus on demand but I guess that would explain it! lol Back to the drawing board I suppose.

-Tote

Farrahday
12-21-2010, 07:23 AM
As HHOC said above, this is a method of safely storing hydrogen by using an alloy hydride such as Palladium. Black powder Palladium for example will absorb 500 times its own volume of hydrogen. Gently heating the mixture releases the hydrogen, which is exactly what this guy is doing.

Not really something that the layman can acheive tinkering about in his garage.

Why the hydrogen on demand is so popular is that you are never carrying around any great quantity of hydroxy, so should something go wrong the damage will be limited.

Also, the beauty of water as a fuel carrier is that (even with the presence of the oxygen atom), it actually carries more hydrogen than the equivalent volume of liquid hydrogen. Seems strange I know, but it's a fact. This is due to water being far denser than liquid hydrogen.

Merry Christmas :)

xXToteXx
12-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Merry Christmas to you too.

And for the record I didnt mean liquid hydrogen, just, compressing the HHO that I produced in a gaseous state in cyliders, (unless, that's HOW liquid hydrogen is made, but again I have no idea.) I'm still relatively new to playing around with HHO although I've been reading for awhile now.

Farrahday
12-22-2010, 05:17 AM
Merry Christmas to you too.

And for the record I didnt mean liquid hydrogen, just, compressing the HHO that I produced in a gaseous state in cyliders, (unless, that's HOW liquid hydrogen is made, but again I have no idea.) I'm still relatively new to playing around with HHO although I've been reading for awhile now.

If you compress any gas enough it will eventually become liquid, however, when you compress HHO, you are compressing both the fuel and the oxidiser, unlike compressing just H2 - which would be much less hazardous (but still potentially dangerous). Apart from the fact that it would take some serious compressing and requires special containers to handle this pressure, it is said that HHO is prone to ignite not just by such as a static discharge, but even a sharp or unsmoothed area of the container housing it can cause it to ignite. Hence it can be quite unstable.

I'd seriously not recommend trying to pressurize HHO or H2. Even if it did not self-ignite, were you to get a flashback the consequences could be disastrous to say the very least.

HHOmer
02-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Storage was my first thought being the packrat I am, when I first found out how easy this was to do. But the thought of trying to DIY compress gas. No thx. There is a guy in Hopewell NJ. that stores like 3 months worth of gas at a time to power his home. He does this in ten 1000 gal. propane tanks, so guess he's not a under pressure guy either. Daniel Nocera of MIT was asked at the end of a lecture about compression and he said he had no interest in getting involved with that process as it would involve special equipment and diaphragms for compression.