PDA

View Full Version : any ideals for anti foam solution

waterbugs
12-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Does anybody out there knows any anti foaming remedies for the reservoir.

lhazleton
12-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a small bottle of "SPA TIME" anti foaming agent. It only costs a few bucks. Put in a drop or two and the foaming will stop almost immediately.

waterbugs
12-11-2010, 01:44 PM
thanks alot for the info but does this cause any problem with the koh? Will this product turn the water and plates brown. How long have you been using this stuff.

waterbugs
12-11-2010, 02:46 PM
hello ihazleton, your 2 lpm with 22amps, Does that unit have a water pumping in it.

lhazleton
12-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Waterbugs,
I've never seen any adverse effects from the use of Spa Time.
And no, I've never used a pump on any of my reactors.

Stevo
12-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Does anybody out there knows any anti foaming remedies for the reservoir.

Foam is generally a result of one to a few things:

contaminated water / plates
too low electrolyte concentration
plates too close together
inner surfaces too choppy / rough

these are the main things I have found to cause foam.

waterbugs
12-18-2010, 03:11 PM
I try spa time anti foaming and notice that I have to add this solution every time I restart my generator and eventually it start leaving brownish gunk in the water. Do you have this problem do you have to add this solution everytime you restart the generator.

hhoconnection
12-18-2010, 03:30 PM
You should not have to keep adding anti-foam solution. Maybe you bought some that is a little different than the stuff I and others have used. I know when I first stumbled onto this solution I had been trying different chemicals for my hot tub, and some of them would gunk up the water pretty bad. I would tear everything down, give it a good cleaning and start over.

On another note, where around LA do you live?

lhazleton
12-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Waterbugs,
What concentration of KOH are you using? The higher the percentage (up to 28%), the less foam you will get. The electrolyte will also remain clear.

waterbugs
12-18-2010, 04:20 PM
So I have to break everthing down to start all over again when I just put them together. I live in San Gabriel and work in Sherman Oak. thanks for the info anyway.