PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions on Electrolyte / Conditioning

kcarring
11-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Under the current setup, I would say i am getting about 250ml / min.
My system will fry a 5a fuse, but not a 10a fuse.

I was told by the manufacturer to mix "2 tablespoons NaOH to a gallon". Possibly, he meant to play it safe, and to condition.

I have seen his video of this unit producing nearly 4l/min at 41 amps.

I don't care so much about alternator load, i want to braze and do AC to DC conversion, not auto.

The big questions:

1. Should I leave this mix and run it for a while, conditioning the system at a low concentration?
2. Then crank up the electrolyte? To what Ratio? Possible 2 oz NaOH / 20 oz distilled water?
3. How do i increase the electrolyte, by emptying the entire system and full replacement? Is there an easier way?

Other questions:

4. I have a really nice big very visible ammeter, but it says it needs a 50mV shunt. Can I make such a thing, or do
I have to buy one? I saw one for $32. The price seemed ridiculous. Do I wire the shunt inline on the negative, or positive side?

5. Would I be wise to convert this system to 10 guage wire leads to the plates, they are only 12.
6. A decent RV battery, can you expect it to handle a 20-30 amp continuous load, or are these devices designed to be hooked
to batteries that are constantly being backed up by an alternator.

I would like to draw about 20 amps or even 30, and actually have a torch tip. Currently my flame is about 1 cm long,
yellow, and it doesn't do **** lol it won't even make the tip of a cheap screw glow red.

My bubbler is pretty large, 3" ABS plastic, about 16" tall and 5/6 full. I had 1 flashback (stupidly i turned the HHO generator
off at the power switch, instead of turning off the valve on my torch.) When it flashed back, my bubbler arrested it,
but it forced normal H20 out of my bubbler back into the reservoir (my dry cell uses the reservoir as an initial bubbler, before
going into the flashback arrestor bubbler).

Thanks for any help.

system:

21 4"x5" 316L stainless plates -NNNN+NNNN-NNNN+NNNN-
18" 12AWG wire leads w/heat shrink female electrical connectors
gaskets are .090"(3/32") fire rated epdm rubber
endplates are HDPE marine grade polyethylene
(Liberator)

lhazleton
11-20-2010, 08:40 AM
To increase output, up your electrolyte concentration.
Do some research. Everything you've asked is already posted.

kcarring
11-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Thanks. There is a lot of information here, for sure. My problem wasn't concentration, it was voltage. I am still running under 1% NaOH, and have limited production, perhaps about 1.25lpm, but my amps are over 20 now, so I'm not sure. Waiting on a shunt for my ammeter so I can better dial this in. I may switch my 21 plate design:

-NNNN+NNNN-NNNN+NNNN-

to something else.

I'd like to avoid running 20+ percent NaOH if possible.
Nice looking forum, by the way... I like how you have a safety section. I've had a few bangs. Wish I knew a couple things ahead of time, but nowadays, there is such an enormous amount of info online to sift through, often you miss important little things.

* - i changed to -NNNNN+NNNNN-NNNNN+NNNNN- and reconditioning, broke it in with just a day at 1% , flushed, and now run 15%, I am getting somewhere close to 1.8l/min - 2.0l/min, less heat, no steam and things are working better it would seem