PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't get enough Volts through

b1jetmech
10-20-2010, 02:52 PM
hello Everyone,

Been experimenting with the nickle 10" x 10" (trucker) cell. I posted results on the other thread with 6 neutrals.

I removed two neutrals bringing it to 4N so the cell was a +NNNN- orientation.

I powered it up and could not get no more then 11.1 volts through! The amps topped at 85! Even when the amps at that high I could not get the volts over 11.1 so, I'm putting in another neutral making it a +NNNNN- and try that.

Why would volts be so low?

Chase

Roland Jacques
10-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Your Volts to your cell are dependant on your power source.

In other words if you are testing that cell in your car, you are over loading your system. The volts drops when you alternator, wires... cant keep up with the demand, then your cell starts to drain your battery and the volts drop. There are not to many alternator's that can put out 85 amps. But im not sure how you are testing.

b1jetmech
10-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Roland,

The power supply I'm using is an Astron 70R which goes up to 15 volts and maxes at 70 amps.

What I did is removed 2 of the 6 neutrals. I'm guessing the nickle lets so much current through it takes away from voltage.

I'm putting a 5th neutral plate in and see what that does. These are 10" by 10" plates so they are huge for being Nickle.

More to come

Chase

Roland Jacques
10-20-2010, 07:24 PM
To achieve your desired amps, mix your KOH accordingly.
Just dilute your mixture and your amps will drop.

Your source voltage should go to where it should be when your amps are in acceptable amp range of your power supply.

Volts per gap, is determined by number of neutrals. adding plates will lower your voltage per gap.

Amps are best regulated by KOH percentage. Then fine tune it with PWM

Stevo
10-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Yeh sounds like strong elyte and lots of surface area so your ps is reaching the max num of deliverable watts which I assume is somewhere near 940 watts. Sound right?