PDA

View Full Version : Where is everyone?

astrocady
10-08-2010, 08:42 AM
On vacation?

myoldyourgold
10-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Out cleaning up the mess the storm left. 117 F one week and then SNOW and rain the next. Great weather LOL

BioFarmer93
10-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Hangin' out at OilBurners and PeachParts Mercedes boards for a while soaking up knowledge.. Wanna see my WVO/WMO processor? I just ran my first batch of home brew in Henry today and he likes it! Now that I got that finished I can get back on reassembling my HHO system. Check it out-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjznCg_ST6I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzhsQ0yw4Mo

Roland Jacques
10-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Just got back from work in Haiti.

BioFarmer93
10-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Hey Roland,
What kind of work were you doing in Haiti?

Roland Jacques
10-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Hey Roland,
What kind of work were you doing in Haiti?

Christian Mission work. We built school desks, built a structure for a small orphanage, and paid their food bill for the next 5 months. We did "Vacation Bible School" for small kids & some Sport Outreaches.

It was a awesome time. A little bitter but sweet also. Jacmel has come along way from their tragic Earthquake. loosing 8% of their population.
But Port-Au-Prince still looks like a war zone, it is a bit sad for me.

astrocady
10-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Good for you, Roland. Your absence it excused :-)

Roland Jacques
10-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Good for you, Roland. Your absence it excused :-)
LOL, Thanks :)

BioFarmer93
10-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Yeah, I'll have to go with Steve on this one, we'll cut you a little slack..
On a more serious note, were you able to see evidence of aid (food, medicine, water, construction equipment & materials) showing up in the quantities our gov'mt brags about on the controlled media, or were things just barely squeaking by?

Roland Jacques
10-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Yeah, I'll have to go with Steve on this one, we'll cut you a little slack..
On a more serious note, were you able to see evidence of aid (food, medicine, water, construction equipment & materials) showing up in the quantities our gov'mt brags about on the controlled media, or were things just barely squeaking by?
I was not there long enough to get a good picture of the overall progress. I can just tell you what i noticed.

Most of the medical aid i saw was from private sources, mainly American (and Canadian) Christian organizations. Volunteers nurses and doctors is the back bone of medical work. The Flights from Miami are at least 60% volunteers, but 50% has been the norm for the last 9 years, since I've been doing mission work there. The extra 10% nowadays seems to be due to the extra nurses and doctors.

Good clean water in small quantities is through out PAP and relatively cheep. Water trucks with FREE water still have long lines to give away 4 gallons at a time. (The water trucks look to be the only Government sponsored activity that i saw)

Not sure about food, other than it is available for a price.

Construction? Really i did not see any active construction. (that was very unusual) There was some very small road repair in progress here and there. but that was just guys with shovels.

They still have Tens of thousand of dead under ruble in PAP. They just had to move past body recovery to survive. Clean up at this rate will go for many years. The saying among the locals is "Port -au Prince is finished". (id have to agree) Some even say "Haiti is finished" (That can't happen and I dont agree)

PAP still has 4 million people living there. tents , lean to, tarps with ropes, and if your fortunate a steel shipping container are the new homes. There was a time when PAP use to have slum areas, now everywhere i went in PAP was slum.

On the bright side, Non profits organization's seem to working together better than before. The outskirt cities like Jacmel seem to be progressing faster than before the Earthquake. Maybe with that the folks will decentralize from PAP and give Haiti a chance again.