PDA

View Full Version : How do you mix your exltrolyte?

b1jetmech
10-03-2010, 04:50 PM
I think I'm achieving 28% KOH solution by taking a gallon of water and adding 28% of its weight in KOH to it.

A gallon of distilled water weighs at 8 lbs. I multiply that by 16 to convert to ounces. That comes to 128 ounces, so I take 28% of that is 36 ounces and add that to the gallon of water.

Am I git R' done?

b1jetmech
10-13-2010, 11:27 PM
Yeah I got it figured out, I've been measuring a little inaccurate for a while. I remembering Larry describing his way weight measurements but couldn't find it.

I now go by 12 lbs. 1 gallon of water to 3.1 lbs of KOH.

When you deal with large Trucker units you have to think BIG...LOL!

Chase

Roland Jacques
10-14-2010, 08:14 AM
I like using a hydrometer (a battery type) to maintain a certain concentration.
28% is 1.2609 SG
Cant find my old chart. This ones pretty good.
http://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/spcfgrvkoh.cgi?submit=Entry

b1jetmech
10-15-2010, 12:13 AM
Thank you for that important info. I was looking for it to add to my reponse but could not find it. Any newbie reading this. THIS IS A MUST TO KNOW.

b1,

agree on the going BIG. I will soon be thinking Big with one of my new installs (school buses).

Can't wait to see;) Is the bus for a school district or privately owned?

H2OPWR
10-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Yeah I got it figured out, I've been measuring a little inaccurate for a while. I remembering Larry describing his way weight measurements but couldn't find it.

I now go by 12 lbs. 1 gallon of water to 3.1 lbs of KOH.

When you deal with large Trucker units you have to think BIG...LOL!

Chase

Chase, If you want a 28% mixture and you are trying for 12 lbs it should be done like this.

12lbs X 16 =192 ounces total electrolite weight
If you want a true 28% mixture then the electrolite needs to be 72% water.
Now take the 192 ounces X .72 = 138.24 ounces or 8.64 pounds of water.
Then take the same 192 ounces X .28 = 53.76 ounces KOH or 3.36 pounds and your solution will be exactly 28%.

Larry

astrocady
10-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Chase, If you want a 28% mixture and you are trying for 12 lbs it should be done like this.

Then take the same 192 ounces X .28 = 53.76 ounces KOH or 3.36 pounds and your solution will be exactly 28%.

Larry

Larry,

This all depends, of course, on the purity of the KOH. My chart says 2.95 pounds of 100% KOH for a 1 gallon mixture -- or 3.28 pounds of 90% KOH for a 1 gallon mixture. Most of the KOH I use is 93%, but I ran into someone not long ago who had 70% KOH (I wonder what the other 30% was??).

Then again, just because I have a nicely formatted chart with colored bands that I got from who-knows-where ----- that doesn't mean it's right! LOL

But, I have found that the concentration isn't all that important. If you need freezing protection and your in the 3 pounds/gallon neighborhood with 90% or better KOH, you fine, IMO. And if you don't need freeze protection, 2 pounds/gallon is okay. All this assuming a PWM.

Steve

H2OPWR
10-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Larry,

This all depends, of course, on the purity of the KOH. My chart says 2.95 pounds of 100% KOH for a 1 gallon mixture -- or 3.28 pounds of 90% KOH for a 1 gallon mixture. Most of the KOH I use is 93%, but I ran into someone not long ago who had 70% KOH (I wonder what the other 30% was??).

Then again, just because I have a nicely formatted chart with colored bands that I got from who-knows-where ----- that doesn't mean it's right! LOL

But, I have found that the concentration isn't all that important. If you need freezing protection and your in the 3 pounds/gallon neighborhood with 90% or better KOH, you fine, IMO. And if you don't need freeze protection, 2 pounds/gallon is okay. All this assuming a PWM.

Steve

Steve, You are correct and I should not assume that everyone does not take that into consideration. I should of put that in the post. The other percentage is always water. If KOH is 70% pure the rest of the weight is simply water. The higher percentage KOH concentrations are just drier and packaged in better material to keep outside air away. Folks should also always make sure the KOH is always stored in very air tight containers. It is very hydroscopic and will gain weight with exposure to air.

Larry

H2OPWR
10-15-2010, 11:17 PM
Thank you. Every time Larry and Steve drill down and give us their higher point of view, I always feel well educated after reading their post. I sure hope most of the newbies are taking notes on this post. This is good stuff to have.

Thanks Koya, We also really enjoy your work. You are doing really good work.

Larry

astrocady
10-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Steve, You are correct and I should not assume that everyone does not take that into consideration. I should of put that in the post. The other percentage is always water. If KOH is 70% pure the rest of the weight is simply water. The higher percentage KOH concentrations are just drier and packaged in better material to keep outside air away. Folks should also always make sure the KOH is always stored in very air tight containers. It is very hydroscopic and will gain weight with exposure to air.

Larry

Well, now I found out what the other 30% is!! Thanks, Larry. I had nightmares of it being contaminated and causing problems.

And Ben, you're making me blush

H2OPWR
10-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Well, now I found out what the other 30% is!! Thanks, Larry. I had nightmares of it being contaminated and causing problems.

And Ben, you're making me blush

The only way I found out is by buying 50 pound bags from a chemical outlet. The bag lists everything on the label. There has never been anything other than KOH and water in any bag.

Larry

b1jetmech
10-16-2010, 08:25 PM

Larry

Thanks Larry!

All this time I have been inaccurately mixing the electrolyte where the end result of having less KOH then needed. It sure runs good at that level!

Chase