PDA

View Full Version : Hard Disk Drive platters for plates??

Cathunter_3
09-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Hello, I am fairly new to this stuff. I have been throwing around the idea for an HHO generator for almost three years now but never got around to actually building one. My question is this: would the platters from a hard disk drive work for the "electrodes?" (i have heard them called electrodes and i have heard that this is improper terminology) I have seen a setup like this used with a solar panel on youtube, but they used baking soda and it ate the plates in about an hour. If I used lye would it be as corrosive to the thin plating of cobalt/chromium/platinum alloy? The reason I am asking is for the simple reason that this plating is much less resistant that ss, and in theory should generate more hho with less heat, if I can get past the problem of the plating separating from the plates that is. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Cory

p.s. I am planning to put multiple generators on my 2001 7.3l powerstroke. would I need anything to fool the computer? :confused: I know plenty about performance just not alot about the electrical systems.

keiththevp
09-30-2010, 07:49 PM
No the hard drive plates will not work. If I remember correctly they are aluminium coated with precious metal. But that coating comes off in the electrolysis process and the lye, baking soda or any other electrolyte will react with the aluminium and destroy the plates. So just stick with ss 316L plates they are not that much more then 304 but last a lot longer.